FaceBook and medical information gathrring.

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 1. May 2018, 07:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
Listening in to the FaceBook debarcle and the Senate investigation in America it seems that FB has been collecting travel information and medical information amongst other things, from its members. Does this include Arthritis Care and such groups on FaceBook?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Why wouldn't it? People are ridiculously trusting with their data, when FB was in its infancy Zuckerberg was heard to remark that he couldn't believe how much information he was gathering, terming the users of his baby 'suckers'. I post on here (and only on here) the names of the meds I am taking and that's it, those details are out there for all to see, 'read' and remember.

I have never used FB and never will but that doesn't mean that The Zuck knows nothing about me (well, not him personally, obvs.) He has always struck me as a devious and sly individual, definitely on the autistic spectrum, highly but coldly intelligent. I have no doubt that FB has been happily collecting data from sources apparently not connected to it and I daresay isn't alone in doing so. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    As you say DD ultimately a lot of it comes down to personal responsibility.
    Something that bugs me is when the only online presence for a product or organisation I might be interested in is Facebook as just clicking on that site will be another FB data notch. I don't like it but have had to accept that any contact with an FB related online presence will leave a mark, whether or not I sign in(which I can't anyway as I'm not part of FB). The only way I can exercise some sort of control is to avoid further interaction; if there is no alternative method of contact then I go elsewhere.
    Any breakthrough, whether nuclear physics or FB, inevitably comes up against the divide between the research/development, and the uses to which such discoveries are put. Humankind being what it is there will be good and bad outcomes, some intentional some unforeseen.
  • Airwave!
    Sharon,
    You rather dodged the point there, FaceBook have stated that they have collected medical and travel information from their members, of which Arthritis Care has pages on FB therefore we must assume that medical information has been collected and collated until we know different.

Will medical associations such as ARC be a party to knowing what and why the data is collected for?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Data science is the next / current big thing. Like all big things before it (radio, telephone, TV, internet) it can be used for good or ill. And data can be collected legally, illegally or in the the many grey areas in between.

I'm always careful about internet use. I don't use facebook or Twitter and this is the only forum I'm a member of.

But, put your username into google, folllowed by 'arthritis' and your posts will come up. Anyone could write a dossier on any of us if they were so inclined. I confess I consider myself among friends here so I'm not always as careful as I should be about what I disclose about myself.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Yes, it does make me wonder whether I should carry on here, like most on here I disclose things about my life I do not wish or would disclose other than behind the cloak of anonimity.

I am on the verge as to whether I trust the software to keep me behind my cloak or to delete my account and I don't trust easily.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I joined Facebook many years ago , but soon stopped using it ..people are to trusting and live there lives on it..and also all the pics they post ie children's, some are getting into the wrong peoples hands..so be aware ..I do think the security setting are made to confuse..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    You again sidestep the issue, trust between user and provider.

Whilst on FB I never filled in all the inf, always had privacy settings on and since I don't need to be there I'm not.

The relationship between users, groups and Facebook is in my opinion rather an undefined thing and within that the Facebook buisness takes advantage of its position, I bet there are many things occuring that have still to surface.

I am not into social media, I would rather talk to someone directly but then find myself writing on here which is afterall, social media.