Sedation

bluejay6497
bluejay6497 Member Posts: 56
edited 14. May 2018, 07:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi could anyone tell me please can I have sedation when on MTX. Is it ok to carry on taking it or do I need to stop before the procedure. Thanks x

Comments

• palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry not sure I understand the question.

I have had a number of operations when I have had anesthetic general and local without any issues, since being on methotrexate.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes, like palo, I'm a bit confused too.

I'm guessing, given your previous thread, that, owing to the anaemia, your doc has requested either an endoscopy, a colonoscopy or both and that pre-op sedation is what you mean rather than a routinely prescribed med.

I've had both ops without sedation but I think it's more usual to offer it now. I honestly can't remember what I did re meth but I probably skipped the dose immediately before the procedure(s). Do I assume that you've been told to carry on taking the meth? (I know you were awaiting instructions from your rheumatology helpline.)

I'm sure you'll be asked to list all meds - prescribed and over-the-counter - and dietary supplements that you take beforehand. You can always ask what their preference is. My rheumatologist and orthopaedic surgeon don't bother much about meth and ops but my bowel surgeon was very keen for me to stay off it for far too many difficult weeks.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright