Hip OA and hills

scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 27. May 2018, 16:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

This is a question for those of you who are still relatively active and have OA of the hip, which it looks likely I have.

I’m still very active, walking for exercise around four miles every time I’m out, generally on flat or mild sloping terrain — so, yesterday I was out for a longer than usual walk, in an area I don’t usually visit, which had a couple of steepish hills which I found harder than usual, needing to put a hand on the knee of the leg of the affected hip to help power it.

Have any of the hip OA sufferers found hills more of a challenge nowadays?

What I have definitely found — there’s a lot of lousy patch work footpaths around, where the various utility companies have not returned the path back to the condition it was before they dug it up.

Cheers
Scozzie

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    When tackling hills you might find a sprung walking pole of benefit - hold it in the hand opposite to the dicky hip to relieve the strain both on it and the other. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I certainly don't class myself as 'still relatively active' :roll: but Mr SW is very active and does have OA in his hip. I know he's used walking poles for a long time but I think he finds them more useful going downhill rather than up. Downhill seems to put more pressure ion joints. (Before the poles, he once came down a steep hill backwards :D )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I use two of the walking poles on uneven ground or if I'm on my feet for longer and always have one in the car, just in case. The poles are easier on my hands, wrists and shoulders than sticks and lighter.
  • scozzie
    Thanks all

I do have a nice shiny pair of poles which I must remember to take with me next time I go trekking, one even doubles as a monopod for my camera, although I’ve not tried it for that yet.

Walking down steepish inclines is much harder on the joints than going up — which is tougher on the heart and lungs.

Many many years ago, almost four decades ago, I walked up Ayres Rock (Uluru) twice in two years and then again almost a decade later — and I can tell you now walking down even as a fit 19 year was not easy on the knees and leg muscles. The main downhill was about 400 to 500 metres and very steep, about halfway to three-quarters of the way down I had to stop and rest as my legs were quivering from the effort.

On my fourth visit I cycled around the base, and on my last visit I walked the 12 km base path with my Scottish wife — which was far more enjoyable than climbing it ... not that you’re allowed to any more.

Take care
    Scozzie
  • rosemaryandtime
    rosemaryandtime Member Posts: 6
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    When tackling hills you might find a sprung walking pole of benefit - hold it in the hand opposite to the dicky hip to relieve the strain both on it and the other. DD

Thank you for this tip! I just started using a cane and my shoulder is going out now because I was using it on the same side as the messed up hip! This forum would have helped a lot if I discovered it sooner
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Sometimes I think that there is so much info here you can't keep reinventing the wheel but people keep finding new questions to ask!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The questions people ask are often not new to us but they are to them. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scozzie
    Hi All

I got to see one of the GPs at my practice to get the full result of my X-ray and I officially "don't" have OA in my hip – still no answer about what's causing my pain though ... aaarrrgggghhhh!!!!
    Scozzie
  • klynn
    klynn Member Posts: 27
    Hi scozzie
    I can relate to the hills problem..a lot.
    Also climbing stairs and steps..a killer for me ,I lose strength when doing this and end up having to use my hands/arms to drag myself up the stairs/steps ..weird.
    But then going down hill or steps isn't that much fun either.
    And my balance is pretty poor ,which doesn't help. :roll: