alternatives to shoes

palo
palo Member Posts: 240
edited 21. May 2018, 12:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am at the point where I can't wear shoes, they are too painful for my arthritic big toe (swollen). I have always had wide feet, yesterday I bought a pair of size 3EEE and they are too tight.

What can I do, I can't afford hand made shoes, but am in agony every time I walk at the moment.

I have been managing with sandals that have adjustable top straps that I can loosen, it is anything enclosed that is too tight. I also have high arches so shoes are just so painful now...

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    At least we currently have the weather for sandals.

Fabric trainers usually have more 'give' than leather shoes. If you have a cobbler (shoe repairer) near you you could ask him to stretch the toes of shoes. Even leather will stretch if dampened and placed on a sort of vice to stretch it. It's possible to buy shoe stretchers but they tend not to be as good.

Bowlers (cricket) sometimes cut out the toes of their boots as they put so much pressure on the toes in their delivery stride. It's not a good look :roll: but, for round the house......
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • palo
    Thank you SW

I have now spoken to Hotter. CosyFeet, DB widerfitshoes, British Footwear Association and all say that my only solution is made to measure shoes as no one makes shoes for such small wide feet.

I guess I will have to wait for the hospital and hope they will help me..
  • palo
    After measuring my feet they are 1" smaller than a 3 which is the main issue..
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I usually buy a size bigger than I need, with one toe fused and the other with a space rather than a joint the toe still sticks up a bit.

Sounds like you need a referral to the Podiatrist, go see your GP.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Feet are such difficult areas, I used to be a size 7AA, now I'm either a 7 or an 8 and anywhere between a D and EEE depending on the time of day. They are also totally flat, when barefoot I sound as though I am attached to hard floors by suction - DD the human octopus. :wink: I usually buy bigger/wider than needed at the time to allow for swelling and lace ups or Mary Janes so things can be loosened: I have bought on the net from Moshulu but that's because I know how their shoes work for me.

Solutions, like the problem, are personal, what works for one person won't work for another. I can empathise with the pain though so it's back to practising my hovering . . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • palo
    Thank you AW and DD.

I will just have to suck it up and go to my GP again!!

We have found a partial solution. Hubby punched holes in my sandal and we've threaded through a shoe-lace. I am way past caring about appearances!!

The support has helped with the pain too.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    At least you've got pink straps! I jest 😊😊.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    You have probably tried them but are Crocs any good?

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • palo
    Hi Elna, thank you for the suggestion, will go and try them.