A helping hand

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 18. May 2018, 03:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have OA in most of my joints, since an early age, if you could show me one without I would be most pleased! I have been told that this is unusual.

I always volunteer to help with research and would like to do more. I found out recently that my 37 year old son has OA now and to be able to help him by helping research would make me feel as though I'm helping him and others like us.

Any suggestions how I can do more?

Comments

• palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    AW there was a facebook page from arthritis uk asking for moderators, you could do that. Not entirely sure what is involved e
  • Airwave!
    Thanks palo, I 'm not on FB but I'll find out.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I took part in medical research for nasal sprays, I found out about it via hospital appointments for my asthma. I've spotted in rheumatology reception notices about research taking place at the hospital and elsewhere for RA so for OA I think it may be best to start with your GPs: ask them whether they are aware of any possible research programmes in the offing, plus contact ARUK etc. I'm sorry your son has begun this nonsense and palaver, genes are nasty things . . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    If you look at the top of this page, under 'Announcements', Arthritis Care are looking for people to tell their stories. I guess every bit helps.

I've done several things in the past but not been asked recently. Not all were specifically re arthritis, though.

Why not PM our webmanager, Sharon. I'm sure she'll be able to put you on to somewhere.

However, I'm sorry to hear your son has joined in. We all want our children to stay healthy no matter how old they are and I guess you will be a bit concerned that you might have unwittingly donated some 'bad genes' to him. You were not to know and I do know that you'll have given him an awful lot of good stuff too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • palo
    Received a request for completing another survey last night AW.
  • Airwave!
    I have already helped in a few research projects, told my story, answered numerous surveys and been a tutor for AC and the NHS, it is the research that I'm particulary interested in.
  • palo
    AW i think researchers has assistants i.e. grad students, there may be possibility of volunteering on a research project
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Airwave! wrote:
    I have already helped in a few research projects, told my story, answered numerous surveys and been a tutor for AC and the NHS, it is the research that I'm particulary interested in.
    Hi Airwave
    let me know what kind of research you are interested in and I will ask the research team for you. This is the joy of being a combined organisation :)
    Best wishes and thank you for everything you to Airwave
    Sharon