Seeing Orthopedic Surgeon Tomorrow

palo
palo Member Posts: 240
edited 18. May 2018, 09:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
I spent an hour on the phone today and got them to bring my appointment forward. It will be tomorrow morning.

It is for the recently diagnosed arthritis in my big toe. Don't quite know what to expect or how to prepare.

The guy I am seeing saw me for my hand arthritis last year and was not very sympathetic and was only interested in surgical options. But that was my hands and this is quite different. The pain is far more intolerable and I am all but housebound as weightbearing is impossible.

The physio said the xray showed severe degeneration and what I saw was half the mtp totally squashed and distorted together on the outer side of the foot, the foot has also deformed and got bigger on that side. Hence the constant pain .

Any tips or advice?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Palo
    really hope the appointment goes well, we will be thinking of you
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope it goes well and you are happy with the outcome.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    thank you Sharon and sw.

Doctor gave me a steriod shot for now, and recommended a toe fusion, which i suspected he would. He confirmed that there is severe degeneration, and said he would have done it last year, when i saw him about my hands, only I didn't know i had it then.

He was very surprised that i had only really noticed pain until March and it was clearly there a long time to have worn away so much...

Only issue is that the wait for surgery is about 4 months...

Don't know how long the steriod shot will work.

Other issue is my MG as general anaesthetic is always a risk for me, as i am slow to revive. He did ask about having a spinal injection instead, has anyone had that for toe fusion?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Not for a toe fusion but for a hip replacement and hernia op. (Not both together :lol: ) I much prefer them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    No spinal shots only GA for toe work. I had the injections into my toe joints, I thought it the most painful thing I have ever endured, my heels and back of my head were still touching the bed, just! and with negative results.

Can they do hypnosis for an op these days?