Big Toe fusion

palo
palo Member Posts: 240
edited 30. May 2018, 07:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
I know some of you here have had this, how long did it take for you to be back on your feet?

Were you able to walk normally subsequently, and how long did that take.

Did all of your pain from that toe resolve with the surgery?

Will 1" heels be ok or is it totally flat shoes?

Reading some of the literature it seems to be saying that I will be out of action for months, which means I have a lot of planning to do, if I don't work I don't earn any money so need to know what I can do...

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've not had this op, palo, and have tried, in vain, to find info from AC and ARUK. Maybe it's just me. However, I found this leaflet from Edinburgh Foot and Ankle Unit and they're pretty good. https://www.nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk/Services/A-Z/Orthopaedics/FootConditions/MTPJFusion.pdf

There are lots of other leaflets from other NHS Trusts if you google 'Big Toe Fusion'. I haven't looked at the others.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hello Palo

I attach Arthritis Research's info on foot and ankle surgery which may or may not be of use, but is definitely worth a quick look.

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/surgery/foot-and-ankle-surgery/common-types.aspx

As for wearing heels once you are recovered from your surgery I do know of some people who favour 'wedge' type shoes to give them height without the pressure on toes.

Best of luck and do let us know how things go.

Ellen
  • palo
    Thank you SW and Ellen. Have found something from bristol

https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/Fusion of the Great (or Big) Toe_NBT002182.pdf

Which i thought was pretty good.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I had this done a couple of years ago, it took me about 6 weeks to recover as you had to use one of those clog shoes! I'm now walking normally, yes now and again I get like a cramping pain in the toe but nothing horrendous. I would say no to heels tried walking in a heel and after 15mins I had to take it off! I would stick to flats or maybe the block sandal type but doubt they will be comfortable after long!!
  • palo
    Thanks bubba.

Its not that I care about heels, I haven't been able to wear them for years anyway, but I do keep a few smart shoes for special occasions. I am thinking of having a clear out of unsuitable stuff...

I will see what I can do work wise, I'll probably have to close the business for a couple of weeks and then see...
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I was off work for six months (I had to be fully fit) and no, walking 'normally' didn't happen, all the toe movement got transferred onto my other toes and they're bu% €£#$d now. I do get the cramp in my foot and a burning sensation.

I had a new joint in the other side and that was taken out after a year, the bone never grew round it. Be careful what you wish for!

I was medically retired 2 years later, it hasn't been all bad, no more work!
  • palo
    AW your experience is frightening.

I can't afford to retire, and will have to work until state retirement at 67, another 13 years away...

I was planning to retire at 40, I worked in banking those days, but being diagnosed with myasthenia gravis at 35 put paid to those plans, and I have never managed 'normal' since.

I get by working from home, but the arthritis has f**d my plans even more...making cakes and icings with my hands is now too hard...with my foot (and possibly other foot too joining the party its no joke) I may retrain again - programming or similar is what I am thinking now...