Update from GraceB

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 9. Jun 2018, 13:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi,

Some of you may remember that back in August 2015 I started my weight loss journey. Between then and the end of December 2016 (when I reached target) I lost a total of 5 stone, 1.5lbs. During 2016 I not only lost my partner John (Feb 16) but also my Mum (Oct 16). I continued with my weight loss during 2016 as I'm a very determined person (and also very stubborn!) and it was the one thing that year I had any control over. However, I couldn't have done it without the support and encouragement of my local friends/family and my friends on this Forum.

I'm delighted to say that not only have I maintained my weight loss, but I've also lost a further half a stone (and am keeping it off) making my weight loss a total of 5 stone, 8.5lbs. :lol::lol: I'm not intending to lose any more as I'm happy where I am.

I consider myself to now be on a permanent healthy eating regime. I don't attend class any more, but I do weigh in at home every Friday morning and I write my weight down in my SW book so I can track things. Yes, some weeks I may put the odd pound on, but the following week I manage to take it off.

If anyone here is currently struggling to lose weight, all I can say is keep chipping away at it. You'll do it! I tackled each half stone in turn as that was the only way I could deal with the amount of weight I needed to lose.

I did this without being able to do any kind of exercise (as I can't). Yes, my journey was slow but it was a slow and steady journey. And it's an accomplishment I'm proud of.

I'm also delighted to say my new relationship is going well. K treats me like a lady and I feel happy again - a feeling that, after I lost John as I did in 2016, I never thought I'd feel again. Yes, I still have bad days and I'll always miss John, but I'm very grateful to have the opportunity of a second chance of happiness.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Best wishes. 😊
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    thank you for the update Grace and congratulations on maintaining your weight loss that is fantastic. I am sure some other people on here will want some support and inspiration
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
    t69044
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Grace
    I just knew you would do well, keeping it off is the hardest bit..and you will, like you say stubbornness comes in sometimes.. :D I am really pleased for you xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Grace, you not only did it but kept on doing it when it would have been so easy - and excusable - to give in. You are a wonderful example to all our slimmers and I'm so pleased your new relationship is flourishing.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Oh well done Grace as you say being stubborn works because you don't or wont give up. i think that's how i did it with slimming world also how i have kept it off now for four years. but well done you I agree it's harder too stay in target than to loose it in the first place. and when things happens or as they say life gets in the way, it is all to easy to give up but you didn't so congratulations you truly deserve it.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • GraceB
    Thank you all for your very kind replies. Yes, it is hard to keep the weight off and self-control is the key theme for me there.

I'm 'lucky' in a way because I have a nut allergy so a lot of sweets, cakes and biscuits are out of bounds for me together with some savoury foods. I also can't eat pastry as it gives me horrendous reflux. However, both very useful food limitations to have! Being on Tramadol means I can't drink so there's calories saved there as well - bonus. :lol:

Apart from anything else, I've got rid of all my bigger sized clothes and I refuse to put myself in the situation where I need to buy larger sizes again a) because I can't afford it, a b) because I flaming well won't do it! As a precaution I have, however, kept my original 'weighing-in' outfit which is in a drawer under the bed. The thinking behind this is that anytime I'm tempted to think "blow it" and go back to my old eating habits I'll climb into this outfit, pull it out and look at myself in the mirror. The look alone should be enough to bring me to my senses!

My new partner is back on his Weight Watchers plan so is also trying to reduce his weight. His back was giving him issues due to his spinal fusion and the fact he'd put on weight. (He put the weight on before I met him, I hasten to add - so not my fault!). K is very encouraging and reassuring when I've put a pound on. I think because he struggles with his own weight, he understands how difficult it can be to balance things.

I appreciate the on-going encouragement. Thank you.

GraceB
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello Grace
    you should be very pleased and proud of yourself. I wish you all the best with your new relationship.
    Joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • GraceB
    Thank you Joan. I appreciate your good wishes and you taking the time to post.

GraceB
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    So pleased for you.
  • GraceB
    Thank you Mig.

The couple of pounds which I'd gone up by have now gone which is good. I don't mind fluctuating by a pound, but when I see my weight going up 2 consecutive weeks (which it did 2-3 weeks ago), it becomes a bit of a red flag to me so I'm more watchful of what I eat.

My new partner K went back to Weight Watchers (he's doing this online) 2 weeks ago. First week he lost 7lbs, when he weighed at home last Tuesday he'd lost another 4lbs. :lol: So that's 11lbs in 2 weeks. It took me best part of 10-12 weeks to lose that amount when I started, but I realise men lose it quicker! :roll: I'm pleased for him that he's made such a good start, and it's already noticeable on him. He's aware it will probably slow down now but he says he'd like to lose 3 stone, possibly 4, in a year if he can. He knows he's got my encouragement, as I know he supports me in maintaining my weight loss.

GraceB