The 'Triumphs' thread

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 4. Feb 2020, 11:03 in My Triumphs
Inspired by DD's trek over to St Michael's Mount (and back) and conscious of the way this forum is necessarily a bit unbalanced (just like us :wink: ) in favour of difficulties and problems, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we listed our own personal triumphs.

Obviously they will be different for each one and one person's triumph will be another's everyday activity but the point is to emphasise the daily personal achievements which make us feel good.

Yes, there will be payback but we can just take that for granted. No need to dwell on it :D

My first contribution - the other day we did a 'wheelchair walk' in which I walked far further than usual and, amazingly, without any payback. Nowhere near as impressive as DD's but it impressed me :lol: and made me feel good about myself.

Please contribute your own triumphs as and when you make them happen :D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I cleared the car from a weeks travelling, sprayed all the weeds from one end to the other end of the garden and drive, cleared the caravan and cleaned the car. All todays jobs done and its only lunchtime.

I feel moderately pleased with myself. :lol::D m0150
  • grid
    grid Member Posts: 40
    Hi

well i have been busier than when i was fit and healthy

i have removed old paint from decking and repainted, took 3 days to complete.

lifted all old grout from patio and re-grouted it all, bear in minds its 20x20 so fair siz as well as 2 levels of paining the decking.

so im pleased with myself, although suffered the following day.

Dave
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    What a great idea for a thread.
    These posts are so good to read.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    Well after pulling my hair out for 3 days I finally tracked down how Chinese spammers had hacked my site and stopped them. So that was a major achievement for me.
  • stickywicket
    :D:D:D

Well done, everyone! Give yourselves a pat on the back. Oh, I forgot. We can't :wink:

But you are all amazingly industrious and determined. And I, for one, find that inspiring.

Carry on carrying on :D And reporting back on it.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Today I shampooed the carpets in the bedroom and hallway....I may be a little broken now but I feel quite good about it.

:D Deb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    What a lovely idea for a thread, everyday we achieve but don't necessarily realise that we have done so because achievements for us are nothing to others.

I am continuing to walk unaided for the majority of the day and enjoying the 'rewards' at night. :roll: :lol: It is worth it though, not only are my muscles benefitting, my mind is too. We have another few days to come, St. Ives and The Tate was on the agenda for today but I've cancelled both, doing one at a time next week is the more sensible way to go. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    I've just re-read through all posts so far and I'm smiling :D

It's lovely to read of what everyone is achieving despite the arthritis and we all know it's not just effort but also pain and fatigue.

I'm afraid I've nothing of note to report but please keep contributing as it's encouraging to read of such efforts.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I had a lovely day Thursday with my new partner K. Just relaxing at his place, but it was great. We cooked a healthy meal between us and just slobbed out for most of the day. :lol:
    Then yesterday I weighed at home and have maintained. :lol::lol:
    Today I met a friend for a coffee and a chat, it was great to have a gossip and "people watch" whilst drinking our coffees.

GraceB

P.S. Yes I agree, lovely idea for a topic! Thank you Sticky.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    Yesterday I ascended and descended Chapel Rock (there were steps, I was not being Chris Bonnington) so have renamed it Daisy's Dome. :D DD
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    My personal triumph is managing to do a bit of gardening.
    When the RA reared its ugly head a few years ago, I wasn’t able to do very much and lost interest in the garden.

I’ve had some really good days recently and have managed some proper weeding of the borders, some planting of new shrubs and perennials - and a good sort through my collection of hosta pots.

This feels like the real me again.
    Thank goodness for depomedrone.

Making hay while the sun shines
    🙂
  • stickywicket
    What a wonderfully enterprising lot you all are! Great stuff :D
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Whilst The Spouse snoozed I managed to dead head various plants down the drive involving much standing, stretching, bending and swearing :wink:
    I have also watered the borders outside the house and managed to lop off some prickly bolting rose stems which were doing nothing but making things look scruffy. Tomorrow I shall do it all again. Gardening is merely outdoor housework. DD

PS. Our grass is brown and crunchy, it sounds like my knees! DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Our grass is brown and crunchy, it sounds like my knees! DD
    So's mine, walking on it feels and sounds rather like walking on dry snow. The unsightliness is offset somewhat by the large quantity of clover which not only has some green left but is also flowering prolifically, much to the delight of assorted bees.
    Today I have managed to decapitate a small ornamental cherry(wrong plant wrong place) prior to someone else eventually getting the rest of it out, and generally tidy up the patio area. I have my little bistro set out ready for use, and the plants in pots have been tidied up and grouped better(on one side at least!). It all looks so much more inviting and lifts the spirits(much needed just at the minute) when I look out of the kitchen window.I'll be able to have a cuppa sitting properly rather than perched on the backdoor step.
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    Lovely to hear how much people enjoy their gardens, even when looking after them isn't all that easy.

Lucky me - I had another triumph yesterday.
    Our very old television set gave up the ghost last week - with a loud bang and a nasty smell of burning.
    Poor husband has been reduced to watching the football on our tiny, equally ancient second tv.
    The new tv arrived yesterday and, with a bit of heavy lifting assistance from J, I managed to get it set up and working - which was no mean feat as there was a lot of crouching in a tight corner wondering which blasted wire belonged where!
    Modern tv's are a strange and different beast!
    It will be another triumph if I manage to get back in there and remove the cobwebs and dust but I think I may give that a few weeks.
    😊
  • stickywicket
    This morning I washed my own hair :D For the first time in about 30 years :D:D

I've been pondering the possibility ever since I got my walk-in / sit down shower. My arms still don't reach and i can't even open the devices that are supposed to help but I reckoned, if my hair was short enough, with the help of my scrunchy thing on a light, plastic stick, I might....just might.

So yesterday I asked my hairdresser to take off a bit more than usual. And today I did it :D:D:D

BettyMac - my daughter-in-law, a woman after my own heart, has a mug bearing the legend 'A clean house is a sign of a dull woman'.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I managed to install a rotary drier and ground spike all by myself yeah me the spike had a screw to put into the ground instead of the usual spike that you push in, a lot of bad language was used but I did it.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Yesterday I set up the new internet hub- last time we had one (about 15 years ago!) I had to ask our then teenage children to do it- you don't realise how much confidence grows as you use technology routinely. Feeling fairly pleased with myself as the new router doesn't keep dropping the signal so no more staggering upstairs to switch off the hub and reboot it. :P
  • dreamdaisy
    Get in! Congratulations to one and all, these are not small fry achievements, each and every one enhances our quality of life, no?

I continue to battle with my new-ish Yoga Book. I have to peer at the screen to see what I am typing, despite not being supposedly on the Mr Magoo setting, and the auto-suggest vocabulary drives me round the bend but I have been unable to find a way to turn it off. Anyone have a spare three year old they could lend to give me a tutorial? :lol: DD
  • daffy2
    Today I got round to using the useful bits I have scavenged(with permission)in recent weeks from the throw out pile of the local furniture re-use charity shop.
    A round coffee table with a broken leg had the other 3 taken off(sledgehammer job, most satisfying) so the top could be fixed to the pedestal from what I imagine was originally a small dining table that had lost its top. The loose veneer on the top of a small occasional table has been stripped off, and 2 chunky wood dining chairs have had screws tightened.Table tops and chair seats have been varnished,so good for a couple of years use outside I hope. Put on the other side of the patio from the metal bistro set it means I will have a choice of sun or shade to sit out in without having to faff around with the parasol. The little table will go out the front as a plant stand to help make the most of the tiny space between the house and the road.
  • dreamdaisy
    Crikey Daffers! That sounds both very enjoyable and rewarding.

I have continued (albeit half-heartedly) with various chores and will now force myself to go for a walk. I don't want to, it's hot and I hurt but I haven't done any unaided walking since Friday. Onwards, sideways and occasionally backwards! DD
  • daffy2
    It was indeed both DD, and will continue to be so, not least because I can now get rid of 2 other chairs( throw-outs from work) which while functional were anything but ornamental - they were NHS ward chairs bought for use in the cafe.
    It was also a boost because both my OA and fibro are kicking off big time and everything hurts, a lot, all the time, at the moment. Doing all the DIY obviously wasn't the kind of analgesic non-arthritics would think of, but for me it worked a treat; yes hands etc hurt, but then they would have done anyway and at least this way I got something to show for the pain.
    Sitting out this morning on my 'new' chair with my first cuppa on my 'new' table set me up nicely for a day at work.
  • stickywicket
    daffy2 wrote:
    It was also a boost because both my OA and fibro are kicking off big time and everything hurts, a lot, all the time, at the moment. Doing all the DIY obviously wasn't the kind of analgesic non-arthritics would think of, but for me it worked a treat; yes hands etc hurt, but then they would have done anyway and at least this way I got something to show for the pain.

An excellent example of arthritic logic, daffy. That's the sort of logic that begets triumphs. I hope you're still enjoying the fruits of your labours.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    An excellent example of arthritic logic, daffy. That's the sort of logic that begets triumphs. I hope you're still enjoying the fruits of your labours.
    I am indeed. Even if I can't actually be out using them I can see them from my kitchen window.
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    By doing it in short stints and with a strategically placed garden chair I've managed to help my brilliant OH pick his mega crop of strawberries over the past two weeks.

By doing one lot at a time (with frequent breaks for tennis on TV) I've hulled and jam the majority with the 'overflow' frozen for future use. It's been too dry for a good raspberry crop but we've picked and frozen each small picking ready for a few jars of jam when fruiting ends. We also succeeded in picking elderflowers so have a good supply of cordial in store and a colourful-looking pantry.

A joint effort (note the 'double entendre') that enabled me to achieve more than last year and to be 'right chuffed' with triumph!