Pesky shoulder

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 6. Jul 2018, 08:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, my dratted left shoulder is playing up yet again - tendonitis, the OA and muscular issues. I saw a GP Wednesday who has referred me - yet again - for physio locally. However, because this problem "keeps recurring" (her words), she also said I needed an injection into the joint. My actual named GP does these at my surgery so I had that done today. He's put steroid into the joint and injected from the rear of the shoulder (scapula area) which surprised me rather.

I've had steroid injections before into my knee, ankle and lumbar spine. None have worked but, I felt that as my shoulder isn't a weight bearing joint and the GP suggested this, I should at least give it a try.

Needless to say the actual injection itself wasn't pleasant, but it was done swiftly and efficiently. He told me to rest the joint for the rest of the day and to use a sling to make sure I did so. I have to say living on my own, hobbling around with an elbow crutch in my right hand and having my left arm in a temporary sling has made life very interesting! Naturally I ensured I chose the most appropriate chiffon scarf to make a sling out of. Well, one does have to be aware of one's image you know. :lol::lol:

As usual there were the normal warnings - what to watch out for re infection and the fact it would get worse for the next couple of days. Well, it's certainly got worse during today! :roll:

Interestingly when I told him I've tried to keep the joint moving and make it move he said if it's sore I shouldn't be trying to move it. I was always under the impression with OA it was essential to keep the joint moving but hey ho, I know things change somewhat. Whilst my shoulder is this sore it hurts to move it so it'll not be doing very much movement. In the meantime I'll keep my other joints moving as I'll really run into trouble if I don't.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had shoulder steroid injections and how long the "it will get worse before it gets better" bit lasted. I've been taking extra meds during the day for the pain but it's still extremely painful. I'm sure it'll settle - and I hope that it's more settled before Monday when I'm due back to work as even typing this post is painful, I'm admin based and at a computer all day. If necessary, I'll take the day off Monday but I'd rather be at work as keeping busy takes my mind off my joint pain.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Please forgive me if this reply is far shorter than your post deserves but I've had a busy few days and an interminably busy evening :roll: I had shoulder steroid jabs many, many years back. I have a feeling (Yup, so long ago - about 70's) one worked and one didn't. They can inject in two places, I was tóld, and, either the second one was in the wrong place or it was just yet another case of the fickle nature of steroid jabs. I don't recall extra pain. Back then everything hurt all the time :roll:

I hope someone with better, more up-to-date info is here shortly. Until then, and after :wink: , good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Well, 2 weeks ago tomorrow was when I had my shoulder steroid jab. It worked for about a week. I didn't think it would work at all, so a week is better than nothing in my view.

At the moment my shoulder is having a ball with spasms, pain and inflammation. The nerve pain is going down my arm/into my hand. My left wrist the last few days has been awful. I'm clinging onto the hope that the wrist pain is affected to the shoulder issue, as I'm not ready yet in my mind to "welcome" another joint to the Arthritis Party. :roll:

I've not yet heard about the physio but should this week I hope. In the meantime, I'll keep everything moving and will continue to take the meds. Hey ho, such is life!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I have no advice to offer. Shoulders are nasty things when they go wrong and I hope the physio comes soon and helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Options
    I have widespread OA and probably had a similar issue with my right shoulder a few years ago - calcific tendinitis. No amount of exercise will correct this condition.

Two steroid injections, the second from above the joint with ultrasound guidance, had no effect and I ended up having surgery. The calcium deposits were removed along with two small bony nodules and the result was brilliant. I achieved 100% joint mobility within about four months thanks to lots of swimming, gradually building up to full back crawl action, and have had no problems since.

Unfortunately, last Autumn, I succeeded in falling during a game of 'walking netball', badly fracturing the head of my left humerus and resulting in more surgery - but that's another story altogether!

Damaged and painful shoulders are a total nightmare (especially if you have lower limb limitations too) so If you are offered an operation I strongly recommend that you accept it!

Everyone is different so, whatever you are advised, I hope you end up with as good an outcome as I have done.