Arthritis in feet

palo
palo Member Posts: 240
edited 29. Jun 2018, 12:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, it is confirmed, I have arthritis in both feet.

Already knew about the severe arthritis in right foot, now x-ray of left foot confirms same but only moderate, not severe at least. My neuro agrees that it is the 19 years of (some very high 60mg daily) dose steriods that has done it, but at least I have come off them now - and he was arguing with me last year not to even try to reduce them... (7mg daily by then)

xray of left knee next, gp agreed, this has been painful for years and prone to giving way etc

My right knee has also started to play up recently, and I have noticed my hips don't feel right, very stiff on getting up in the morning and off the sofa, am i imagining it or do I carry on going round the body?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am sorry, it's not fun is it? It could be due to the steroids but also when something hurts we change the way we move, trying to ease the strain on the painful joints and so creating trouble in others. It's a natural response, reducing pain is an understandable aim but as a strategy it's pretty useless.

I occasionally reflect on how things have developed with me but never for long, it's upsetting and achieves nothing. Things are as they are, I am doing the best I can off my own bat and in conjunction with my rheumatologist, as for the GP forget it, the lack of continuity in care is anything but helpful. Take some time to regroup, knowing that something might be coming is poor preparation for its arrival; be kind to yourself and keep in touch. We get it because we've got it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I find that just getting on with the things I enjoy even at a lesser level is the thing that keeps me going and gives me meangful exercise and enjoyment, it fulfills me. The worse thing you can do is change your way of life completely. We still need to function in a coherent way that pleases our souls. I'm in my churchillian period!

Good luck.
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    thank you DD and AW.

I am at the regrouping stage and need to take a bit of time just reassessing where I am now. I have been focusing on losing weight and have shed 1 and half stones since January (and stopping the steriods) I hope this helps the OA.

Work wise I will wait and see, things are just ticking over currently, I would love to be to stop work but it is not possible and must find a way of continuing to manage.

At least we are having a good summer...
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You're more than welcome and thank you for the thank you! Time out regrouping is essential, it's always a setback when a fear is confirmed and it takes time to assess, adjust and beginning to plan how to plough on. Many congratulations on losing weight because that is a positive for the whole body, sometimes we forget that there is more to us than just arthritis.

I cannot help on the work-front as I was self-employed - my boss was very understanding :wink: My husband had a good job so my stopping work had no impact on the household income, a true luxury. As for the good weather many love it and enjoy it so if it floats your boat make the most of it because, unlike the arthritis, it won't last. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben