Methotrexate and Aspirin

Dragonfly17
Dragonfly17 Member Posts: 47
edited 28. Jun 2018, 15:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
I just heard that you should not take aspirin if you are taking mtx, can anyone let me know if this is true. I am concerned because I recently had a severe case of SVT (in fact twice in same day and on both occasions needed ambulance to A & E) and prescribed betablockers. When visited GP 2 days later her also prescribed the daily dose of aspirin. Am now concerned as since taking these new meds I have been getting severe knee joint and thumb pain- could they be related to the aspirin?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The short answer is no. I've no medical training but I did look up SVT. To be honest I thought it was a typo and you meant DVT but I was pretty sure you can't get rid of one of those in 24 hours let alone acquire another. Anyway, I read that SVT is when your heartrate suddenly goes up.

I also checked out for interactions between methotrexate and aspirin and the only likely problem is that the effects of the meth would be increased. (https://tinyurl.com/y75tvh6k) so I guess your knee should feel better not worse.

In fact, aspirin is more likely to help than hinder your arthritis. When I was first diagnosed I was told to take it until I got a buzzing in my ears and, during my second pregnancy, soluble aspirin was all I was allowed for my RA. I think the reason why it's not routinely prescribed alongside DMARDS is because all these things have to be processed by the poor, hard-working liver. Just ensure you have your regular blood tests and all should be well but, if in doubt, check with your GP or local pharmacist.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Dragonfly17
    Thanks Sticky. I too had looked it up and came to same conclusion as you that I should be feeling less pain not more. Seems like RA is playing up at the moment - must be Murphy's Law, going on holiday on Saturday to Cornwall and was hoping to see the Eden Project and the Gardens of Heligan, but not sure now if will be able to walk too far.
    Thanks again for your info. Hope all is well with you and that you are enjoying this hot weather. x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    Thanks but..... :roll: I hate the weather. I wilt, my joints play up and the pollen has me coughing like a 40 a day old lag :wink: It could be the weather that's causing your own problems. In my book heat, humidity and RA have never mixed.

For the holiday why not plan ahead. I'm sure the places you mention will have scooters available. Much better than a ruined holiday. I have happy memories of Cornwall. Have fun :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Dragonfly17
    Sorry to hear you are finding this weather difficult ... I too hate the heat and stay inside as much as possible. I had hoped the heat would make my RA easier but it's not the case.
    A great idea of yours to see about a scooter, I had not thought of that. I have looked at a map of the gardens to see where I would like to go as I don't expect to see it all.
    Thanks for the good wishes and hope you feel less uncomfortable soon. x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi
    here is some information about wheelchairs and access to the Eden project https://www.edenproject.com/visit/before-you-visit/accessibility-guide
    And Heligan
    https://www.heligan.com/visiting-us/disabled-access
    Also there are beech wheelchairs if you want to dip your toe in the water https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/beaches-in-cornwall/sand-chairs-in-cornwall/
    Have a lovely time
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635