The 'Triumphs' thread

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hurrah to Crinkly, all round hers for tea! :D

I am in the process of preparing for lunch guests, it will be great when they arrive because they are old friends and I will have no qualms about asking for help (which I need, the PsA is having a lovely time at the moment). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    That's the way to do it, and what a brilliant bit of multi-tasking - Wimbledon and strawberries go together times two!
    Even in these days of 24/7 food availability there's something very satisfying about seeing our stores filling with home produce all ready to cheer the dark days of winter.
    Despite the drought and the unwelcome attentions of mole and birds I have harvested a small box of saladings this morning- some are purpose grown leaves, others are thinnings - to add interest to a supermarket lettuce.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thank you one and all. I'm going to keep coming back to this thread to remind myself what an inspiring bunch you are :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Ok, I have a couple.
    I had really got out of the habit of cooking and lost interest in food, partly as a hangover from when I was working and also due to living alone. About a month ago I had a chat with my daughter, and asked for her support and bought a couple of eating for one cookbooks. I now send her a photo of what I have cooked for myself each day and I have really got back into the habit...I even cooked for a friend last week.

My other is that starting to think declutter I went through my pile of important paperwork, shredded stuff I didn't need and reorganised it in a new useful box home filing system. I also sorted through all my photo albums, ( including some which were my Mum's) and selected ones to keep and sorted them into boxes. It all took me a few days but I felt accomplished.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Oh I love this thread so much and I’m smiling with pride. Today’s triumph is making it out of bed, into the shower and into proper clothes, even if I am back in bed again.
  • dreamdaisy
    It's not a triumph yet but has potential . . .

We're off to Latitude, East Anglia's answer to Glastonbury. I will be glamping (no surprise there :wink: ) and friends are coming too. We went last year and it was the trigger for me to start working with my personal tutor. Actually, come to think about it, my progress over the past year is a triumph so well done me! :lol: DD
  • dreamdaisy
    I am back from Latitude and Aldeburgh. Latitude was challenging, extreme heat, 40,00 people living in their own worlds so no time to watch out for others, the main walkways reduced to deep sand so very hard to navigate with James (my Veloped Trionic walker and so named because his serial number is 101007) and the fields seemed lumpier but I survived. We saw some interesting performers and performances (Ballet Boyz were superb) and the sheep were pink. I will not be doing it again though, despite being fitter in some ways the progression of age and arthritis brought about other difficulties and the payback is severe.

Aldeburgh was very sedate and had pavements which made a great difference! DD
  • dreamdaisy
    We recently had our chimney swept which entailed my removing fifty three glass tea light holders which I then decided could all benefit from a wash. They were duly ferried in batches to the kitchen, dealt with by hand, then ferried back to the sitting room. After the sweeping they were then re-instated. Now they are all dusty again but never mind.

Last Friday I exercised mightily with the bed and am now off to do some more with it: I need to replace some mattress protectors. Wot larks Pip! DD
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Still plenty of strawberry jam left so do drop in for tea if you are ever near the beautiful Peak District!

August's achievement was hosting all-comers to our Golden Wedding Weekend with help from husband, a son and his lovely partner. An amazing time with family plus friends old and newer that left us feeling totally triumphant and with a large thanksgiving donation, in lieu of gifts, to send to a charity.

Absolutely no regrets that it took until today - Wednesday - for me to surface again, knowing it will remain a memorable event that we shan't be able to repeat. I am truly blessed!
  • stickywicket
    Well done, crinkly :D We did something similar for our 40th but, by the time our 50th came round this year, I was all for an easy life. Our church has a tradition for special occasions ie those celebrating provide cake and wine instead of / alongside the usual Sunday tea / coffee and biscuits. Our son baked a massive cake and we were happy to swill (sorry provide :wink: ) the wine.

DD, as usual, inspires while thinking she's doing nothing much. I like candles but I don't like them enough to light them every night let alone clean lots of tealight holders. I am impressed.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Yesterday I went into town with the plan of visiting two shops. I executed said plan but it was harder work than expected because I did it unaided. No sticks, no rolly, zip, nada, nothing. I am used to unaided walking around the house and at some length around the general area but in town it was very different thanks to hordes of people (something I inexplicably failed to take into account until it was too late). Without any visible warning as to my poor mobility I was treated as an equal so expected to swerve at a moment's notice, had doors swing shut in my face (and not held open as I approached) and huffed at by the pramarati (those armed with pushchairs and no manners) for getting in their way: it was both alarming and refreshing.

I made it (with a brief sojourn for a coffee) but the after-effects were interesting as I had been using my increasingly stronger muscles in a very different way to the usual straightforward walking I have been getting used to doing. I think it was worth it, though, I will do it again but only for quick trips, not leisurely emporium perusals. DD
  • stickywicket
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I will do it again but only for quick trips, not leisurely emporium perusals. DD

:o Perhaps with Mr DD as your bouncer ie they bounce off him before getting to you :wink:

I think it was, indeed, a triumph and a sensible subsequent resolution. Having always been unable to use walking aids (feet stick out and hands won't hold sticks or crutches) I realise I just take all the nonsense for granted and am constantly, subconsciously vigilant for the pushers and shovers, the prams, the uneven pavements, doors etc. However, I have a confession to make. Mr SW is a demon wheelchair pusher. Please don't go anywhere near him. He sees the chair as giving him right of way over everyone. I am the one left saying 'Thank you', Excuse us, please' and 'Sorry' :oops:

So far today (and it's only 11.06) I have swiffered, hoovered up the results plus two dead wasps :o , cleaned the kitchen reaching the difficult bits with the aid of an old long-handled washing stick, wiped down the living room furniture with same (Just change the old sock on the end :D ) and hopefully sorted out a thick handle for the 'spreading things' knife :D:D:D
    Steven Wright
  • Katie21
    Katie21 Member Posts: 11
    palo wrote:
    Well after pulling my hair out for 3 days I finally tracked down how Chinese spammers had hacked my site and stopped them. So that was a major achievement for me.

Swines with nothing more to do. Someone I know calls them pin heads... :mrgreen:
  • dreamdaisy
    Today I baked savoury muffins, the first bake in ages. They were so good I shall do more tomorrow. DD

PS. recipe on CC
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Thought it was time to resurrect this thread and haul myself out of self-obsession! Have decided to aim for a monthly post and challenge others to do the same.

Despite a bout of sciatica plus the disappointing failure of an op to repair shoulder damage, causing worry about how I'd cope my husband and I had a great holiday in Northumberland at the beginning of October.

We rented a tiny, very warm and cosy, s-c farm cottage so only needed to move between two rooms. I took my trusty powerchair in its little trailer so with that we walked miles along well-defined paths in superb Autumn weather and even got within touching distance of Hadrian's Wall. (Only a narrow kissing gate, not shown on the map, thwarted our progress on one day.) Went to National Trust and English Heritage properties, learning lots about enterprising Brits and the Romans in Britain. (Lots of updates and site developments since our previous stay in that area.) Most places extremely welcoming and accessible plus it was sheer delight to be outdoors for so much of each day.

Had lots of laughs, almost got stuck in unlikely places, on narrow pavements and steep gradients also met up with family who live nearby.

Felt we achieved a lot and, now the washing and ironing are done, would love to be back there! Will definitely continue to 'go for it' in future. Watch out, world!

Crinkly1
  • dreamdaisy
    That sounds lovely, Crinkly, I am so please you managed to enjoy yourselves despite some complications! It is very easy to become self-absorbed, we do have to make a determined effort every now and again to refocus.

Achievements are thin on the ground here, it's been a grim few weeks arthritis-wise and I, like you, need to haul myself out of my personal Slough of Despond but currently lack the motivation. I have heard that my Michael's Mount silver pebble is ready for collection so that will serve as a positive reminder that things can be achieved and that the only way to achieve them is to flaming well get on and do stuff! DD
  • stickywicket
    Well done, crinkly. Not only a triumph but a triumph that is fun to achieve :D

At the mo it'd be a triumph for me to stay awake for a full day :roll: but I'll get back there.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    On Saturday I allowed the arthritis to win, yesterday I did not which made me feel better in myself. I stripped the bed, turned my mattress, remade the bed and did an unaided walk. The pebble is now hidden, Mr DD is giving it to me for Christmas:. I had a quick look when we collected it on Friday but, truth be told, things were jangling so much I didn't really take in how it looked. DD
  • Slosh
    Wow! That sounds like a very successful day DD.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I made it back to work yesterday after 2.5 weeks off sick. I did 5 hours yesterday and 6 hours today. Mentally, I feel so much better. My body is like “whaaaaat?” but I don’t work wednesdays and I’ll rest tomorrow. I needed this so much.
  • Slosh
    Well done, but make sure you do rest up now.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Sophie, I hope you are reading this with your feet up and eyelids closed :wink:

I know what you mean about feeling better just because you got back to routine. I do hope it can last but you've already done brilliantly. We have to get the balance between what the body needs and what the mind needs. tricky even for us old hands. I hope you continue to get it right.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    You are an inspiration. DD

💋
  • dreamdaisy
    Yesterday I tidied my bathroom. In its previous life it was a wet room, the owner before us converted it to a bathroom. The washbasin is inset into a long surface covered in black granite-effect plastic, it looks like a kitchen worktop and is horrible. I am one of those who likes to cover any available space with clutter but now? The shorter space to one side of the basin is neatly cluttered with dust-free girlie essentials plus tooth stuff but the remaining two thirds is clear. I cleaned the bathroom, the basin and the floor then strung some bottle lights round the wire ram's head (like you do). Those with his silver earrings look spectacular!

My depression is increasing so rather than thinking 'I wish that room was clean and tidy' I cleaned and tidied it. That led to an improvement in my mood so that's something to work on, yes? DD
  • Slosh
    Well done DD, sorry to hear you are battling with depression again, it's horrible how it creeps up and gets it's fingers into you. Well done on the tidying/sorting out too, I'm not so keen on the cleaning part but I do find a tidy up session and organising/decorating an area very satisfying.
    I hope you manage to find your way out of this bout of depression soon, it sounds as though you have made a start.
    Julian of Norwich