Wimbledon or Russia

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 13. Jul 2018, 11:45 in Community Chit-chat archive
Where do your thoughts go to tonight? Wimbledon or Russia?

Wimbledon for me😎🍺.

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Neither. Never been into football, and I lost interest in tennis a long time ago.
    Luckily I've plenty else to occupy myself with if there's nothing else on TV!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    We did Russia, I enjoy tennis but the match last night was a one-off. Mind you, modern day tennis does not have much to recommend it, it seems mainly to consist of screeching baseline slugfests (or in my Lenovo's preferred vocab choice, 'screening baseline suggests' ). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    We did Russia too. I'm not overfond of footie (too many egos) but this England team and manager do seem refreshingly different.

Tennis? Mr SW will only watch it these days with the sound turned off. We're of an age when we can do all the groaning and screeching for ourselves.

'screening baseline suggests' do sound quite intriguing though. My old tablet is quite useful for suggestions but my newer mobile phone is the class swot - always in there waving its arm in the air before I even know what I want.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Neither! I must admit to being a bit worried about next Sunday (15th), I'm selling at a big event in a local park next Sunday. In past years there have been queues to get in, and I have had very successful days in terms of sales. Now I'm wondering if there is a contingency plan re the World Cup Final.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    Now I'm wondering if there is a contingency plan re the World Cup Final.
    Setting up a public screen if the organisers have any sense!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Hope so, but it's an event with live music and performances too. Fingers crossed.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    Various events in my neck of the woods have come up with a selection of solutions, from altering timings, working with nearby pubs, to arranging onsite screens away from the main event. For most the aim is to cater for both parts of otherwise divided groups, not least because for a good few folks a space away from the football is a positive and worth travelling to!
    If it hadn't been so impossibly hot yesterday I would have taken the chance to go out knowing that many visitor attractions would probably be quieter in the afternoon than usual on a Saturday.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    We went away for a few days and wouldn't sit in the pub because of the screens and crowds, we sat out on the grass with a book each.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    Oh I'd much prefer a book and the grass to a noisy pub with a big screen.

But there's something about national events that draw people in. My sister, who has never watched football in her life - or cricket, or rugby - suddenly has to watch England. I don't quite understand why myself but she's not alone.

Slosh, the final is at 4pm so, if yours is an all-day event, there should be plenty of earlier visitors. I hope so.

I rather like this team and their manager but the adulation that they're now getting I find ridiculous, distasteful, unsettling and lots of other negatives. They are being burdened by far too many hopes. I love sport but can never understand why people cry at disappointing results. It's a game. It's fun. But it's not real life.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Wimmer
    Wimmer Member Posts: 1
    You know what they say, different strokes for different folks. There's no right answer here, honestly. Everyone should do what they enjoy. Whether it's a book or acting like a lunatic with other people acting like lunatics for a couple of hours. It's all fine. :)