Hello

Options
CarolS
CarolS Member Posts: 3
edited 13. Jul 2018, 15:20 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I am very glad to have found this forum. I have actually been a supporter of Arthritis Care for a while but found the forum searching for advice on what to do if you are taking Benepali and will be having an operation in the future. The general advice is talk to your doctor but is that GP? Rheumatologist or surgeon? I am going to start with the rheumatology helpline as they always respond fairly quickly.

In terms of me, I am in my sixties, diagnosed in my thirties and with a rather checkered history of medication working for a while and then causing problems, which seems not to be the pattern expected. At present, I am doing well on methotrexate and Benepali with little need for additional painkillers - or dullers as I gather they are called here. I try to keep as fit and active as possible, eat well and treat myself with a glass of wine.

All the best
Carol

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi CarolS welcome to the forum we are all friendly and understanding and will try and help in any way to make you feel part of the forum. The most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Carol and welcome from me too :D

I've no experience of benepali but plenty of experience of methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. I've had several operations while on them and I can confirm that it's your consultant you need to talk to (ie the one doing the operation not your rheumatologist though both would be good - if they can agree :roll: )

My orthopaedic consultant used to want me off the meth (they don't bother about hydroxy) for several weeks before and after but, by the time of my last orthopaedic op a few years ago, the same surgeon had decided it made no difference so just took me off the dose before and after.

I did, however, have a completely different experience when I'd to have emergency surgery last year for a twisted bowel. This consultant wanted me completely off the meth for about two months. Given that I'd not had it for a month beforehand due to a bad chest infection, it was a rough time. But I forgave him because he was very easy on the eye :wink:

It sounds as if you are, wisely, giving yourself plenty of time to get things organised. I do hope it all goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright