Starting my new meds

frank50
frank50 Member Posts: 28
Hi everyone
So Im still walking ok after my first two depo meldrone shots and my RA doc has given my GP info on my new meds to give me. Methotrexate, hydroxychloroquine & folic acid. I would like to know what not to eat while on this as Im a bit confused to be honest as some people say stay of citris drinks and another no its ok or taking echinesea that boosts your immune system is any good.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi frank50

Thanks for your post to Helplines. Good luck with beginning your treatment. You are recommended to check out complimentary therapies with your rheumatology team before starting any (unfortunately you may need to be cautious). I'm not aware of particular dietary restrictions with methotrexate (the key issue is to to keep your alcohol intake within modest limits) or hydroxychoroquine. But I'm doing an information search and will come back to you.

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/methotrexate.aspx

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/hydroxychloroquine.aspx

All the best
    Guy
  • frank50
    Many thanks Guy

• frank50
    The links you provided basically give me the same helpfull info I got from my RA doctor but in leaflet form supplied by Arthritis research UK. I have included in my diet ginger, tumeric & omega 3 6 9 supplements. Going to cut down my weekend wine intake and no processed foods. No idea if all this will be better for me but I like to try it all out first to see what happens. My knees and wrists were pretty bad a few months ago and would hate to go through that again.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Frank, I steer clear of acidic and citrus foods because they aggravate my OA: as you are in the early days of an auto-immune arthritis you may find this does not apply to you. You must reduce your alcohol intake for at least three months so that your liver is not put under too much strain in having to process that plus the meth.

Some of the meds for auto-immune arthritis I have taken meant that I could not eat pate or un-pasteurised cheeses so that has become a habit: grapefruit juice is also contra-indicated but as I heartily dislike grapefruit that has not been an issue! I hope you get on OK with the medication, I have been taking meth for years and have no trouble apart from feeling extra tired every now and again. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • helpline_team
    Hi frank

I'm attaching our information on healthy eating. Omega 3 has good evidence for its use with RA but omega 6 is an oil that has not such a good reputation (it can promote inflammation and is often found in processed foods).

https://arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/healthy-eating-and-arthritis

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/complementary-therapies/diet-and-supplements.aspx

Do give us a ring at the Helpline, if you'd like a chat.

best wishes

Guy
  • frank50
    Many thanks for the helpfull advice and links folks, I will keep yeall updated on my progress.

• helpline_team
    Hi Frank
    The information search came back with the following:
    There are no documented food interactions with hydroychoroquine. Caffeine may reduce the effectiveness of methotrexate. (We'd already mentioned the need to limit alcohol.) No significant interactions with folic acid (it has an effect with methotrexate which is why it's prescribed.)
    all the best
    Guy