This is getting silly....

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 9. Aug 2018, 09:49 in Community Chit-chat archive
It was 30 degrees C outside my back door at 8 am this morning, and it's now(5-15pm) 33 in the shade; it peaked at 39. I always subtract at least 5 degrees to allow for the sheltered position and surrounding hard surfaces, but it wasn't that much less in the garden proper.
No rain for 8 weeks here and the temperatures not forecast to go down significantly anytime soon. So glad I don't have to go into work until Saturday this week - just doing the essential errands is a challenge! I think this will be a live out of the freezer week food wise; it's about time I reduced the contents somewhat and defrosted it anyway and it's one way to avoid shopping.
At least the need for aircon will be helping to use the energy spikes from surplus solar electricity generation which will please the generating companies and National Grid managers.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    So fed up with it now, and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight. There was a report on tv today which highlighted how it's affecting farmers as well as photos showing how dried up the countryside is.

Mind you it's even worse in Japan with tempratures in the 40s.

Just hope everyone is following all the advice to keep safe in this heat.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh daffy like you say we have had enough now..my joints don't like hot and I am melting..apparently after the big one on Thursday :shock: its get a little cooler..but then its back again next week :shock:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I agree it's not pleasant but it will pass - I am not enjoying it but I know many are, the same ones who whinge and whine when it's minus 4 but I feel alive. Our garden is dying, the grass is crunchy (I say grass but of course it isn't) and I am watering only the hydrangea Arabella, everything else can take its chance and, nature being what it is, I could be pleasantly surprised.

Our water butt is empty and will remain so until it rains, we cannot fill it with grey water as it's too far removed from the house. Are new-builds equipped with grey water recovery systems? I suspect private builds could be but en-masse? I doubt it.

We must consider proper investment in water supplies, the infrastructure is old and woefully unable to cope with the demands of an increasing (and increasingly demanding) population. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    On a positive note, my joints love this weather, I have been going for a walk the last few days, wonderful! I have cut the grass twice in over 2 months, usually every five days. We went away for a long weekend and had glorious weather. We had friends round and sat outside on the balcony till very late. Heating the house doesn't cost anything this weather. All the windows and doors are open, the umbrella shades the glass lounge doors and fresh air is blowing gently over me.

Hows that for starters?

m0150
  • Slosh
    And your glass of something cold is half full
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Slosh
    I live in a quiet cul-de-sac and usually at this time of year there are lots of children playing outside, I just realised today that they are all inside. Sensible but rather sad.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Most people we speak to have really had enough of the high temperatures. I am with Barbara and so many others, we melt. My GP always asks me "are your pains eased in summer time" (bear in mind I have known him for nearly 10 years). NO, they are 10 times worse, but we have to carry on. :roll: :roll:

The heatwave is spread across the world it seems, America in scorching hot, as is Spain and most of Europe, Sweden have had their hottest year since goodness knows when. Japan is just crazy hot, over 40 degrees

It is the months that is has been going on, it drains you, physically and mentally. The UK has turned from a green and pleasant land, into a dry and brown country. Looking at the satellite image of the UK, from early May, to present day, is a real shock.

I agree DD the demands on the water supply have been increased sky high, more people, more demand, same amount of water :roll:
    While I was sat, melting in out patients, on Monday, one lady said, oh this is better than that horrid snow we had, I hope it carries on. I was SO tempted to say something :shock:

A mass rain dance it needed :)
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • Airwave!
    El Ninio versus el Niniha, the onshore/offshore winds blowing on the south American western coast caused by the warming/cooling Pacific Ocean, we now have less eratic polar winds and the jetstream is favouring our country.

The current pattern is slightly cooler than previous years but nevertheless hot for us living in northern temperate climes. Don't knock it or the 'beast from the east' will be back!

The weather pattern combined with global warming is the culprit but who will send their car/gas boiler latest manufactured goods etc to the scrap yard to stop it?
  • daffy2
    Yesterday was something of a respite, with a cool breeze and periods of cloud-obscured sun. In the evening it was cool enough early enough to be able to use my 'new' table and chair for dinner outside and the temperature went down to 16 overnight - positively chilly. Today and Friday I am not planning to venture out if I can help it, with local(ish) forecast temps in low 30's, so likely much higher 'on the ground' going by previous experience.

Airwave, replacing less efficient equipment always has to be balanced against what's involved with the production of the new - especially where that production is in places like India and China. Full environmental audits and true lifetime costs can be difficult to impossible to get hold of when making such decisions - and in view of the VW (and others I have no doubt) emissions scandal how reliable are they anyway? The current model of continued economic growth through conspicuous consumption is the unsustainable root, and what needs to alter.
    Friday there is supposed to be a blood-red moon due to an eclipse so if we get the forecast storms as well that could look fairly spectacular!
    Take care everyone and here's to seeing figures in the twenties rather than thirties before too long.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    daffy2 wrote:
    The current model of continued economic growth through conspicuous consumption is the unsustainable root, and what needs to alter.

I couldn't agree more.

I haven't contributed to this thread as I feel almost embarrassed to be sharing your discomfort at the much lower temperatures we have up here in the Borders.

However, for all who are looking for yet another way of not having to turn the oven on, here is a delicious, refreshing salad recipe I've had for years.

MELON AND BEAN SPROUT SALAD

1 honeydew melon
    225g / 8oz beansprouts
    1 clove garlic crushed
    Small red pepper, thinly sliced
    400g / 14oz cooked, dried red kidney beans (ie tin)
    2 spring onions sliced
    50g / 2oz cashew nuts
    15ml / 1 tbsp chopped parsley
    150ml / 5 fl oz plain yoghourt chilled
    5 ml / 1 tsp lemon juice
    grated rind and juice 1 orange
    salt and ground black pepper

Dice melon. Mix with everything up to and including parsley.

Mix yoghurt, lemon juice and orange rind and juice. Season with salt and pepper, pour over salad and toss well. garnish with watercress or parsley sprigs.

Personally, I love it with just crusty bread but my carnivores do require something from the deli with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    That looks tasty Sticky. As an omnivore I wouldn't choose meat to go with it if I wanted something extra but a bit of crumbled feta would go well I think.
    I've just been down to the cool spot at the bottom of my garden - shade from neighbours' fruit trees and exposed to the breeze - it's 31 degrees. No wonder the rest of the garden feels hot! The breeze, although strong, is very warm so not much help in the sun. Next door have got the paddling pool out and the parasol for shade and toddler has been joined by mum sitting in it, which seems a pretty good solution!
    It got pretty cool overnight(down to 16) so the morning took a while to get too much so I could do a bit extra watering of my little veggie beds. It's a battle of wills between me trying to keep them growing, the mole following the worms in the watered patch, and the blackbirds doing their earthmoving in search of food, which often ends up exposing plant roots.
  • Airwave!
    Yes, our temperatures although in the lower to mid 20s are not as hot as the se area, I did fall prey to the heat today though.

I made up some vegetable kebabs the other night and eat them with a simple salad but that one of Stickys is a must for tomorrow! Nice one.
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    I was in Spain a few weeks ago where it was 35c during the day and went down to 28c in the night.
    Though of course we found it hot, it' wasn't this clammy humid heat, more of a a dry heat and bearable.
    I think it's the humidity that drains us of energy and keeps us awake at night here.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    HELP!!! WHERE IS THE RAIN!!!

Seriously folk, my pain only goes away when it starts to rain, whatever the temperature. I think it's because I was born in February. I'm definitely a water bearer.

s110.gif

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• daffy2
    Since I started this thread, there has been one very brief respite rain-wise and one temperature-wise. The rain was blown away very quickly although it did wash the dust out of the air and freshen things up a little. The temperature drop for one day highlighted just how hot it has been - 22 felt distinctly cool!
    Today is 32 in the shade and paving too hot for bare feet. My daughter has sent a small olive tree for my birthday, which seems fitting, but I'm rather hoping for the law of perversity to kick in and remove the summer med weather now that I've a plant that should enjoy it! I'll reschedule my planned seaside trip - the bus to the station will be air-conditioned, the train won't.
  • daffy2
    Yup, the afforementioned Law of Perversity has kicked in! Northerly winds, quite heavy rain, and temperature hovering around 15 C. The olive tree pot says it's come from Messina in Italy, so this will be a shock to the poor thing. Times like this a greenhouse would be useful....