Trapeziectomy recovery

Susiesu
Susiesu Member Posts: 3
edited 7. Feb 2023, 10:12 in News Archive
Hi everyone,
I’m new to this site and looking for some feedback of how others have fared in their recovery from Trapeziectomy? I had my operation on the 8th June and am now 5 wks and 3days into my recovery? I am recovering well, I think? but have found it very difficult to manage the pain and every day tasks one handed. I am retired which has helped , thank goodness I don’t have to worry about getting up for work because at the moment I’m not sleeping until the early hours and of course my day starts around noon? I live alone so it’s a struggle! Would just like to know how others have coped with this operation? and recovery times?

Thanks for letting me in. Susie.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Susiesu

The is a topic that comes up often, I'm sure will get a response off the forum members. Search the key name Trapeziectomy to find the different links, both Arthritis Research and Arthritis Care.

Thank you

John
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Susiesu :D I've not had a trapeziectomy but we do get a lot of people on here asking about recovery times maybe because it's perceived to be a small operation. Small on the outside maybe but quite a lot of damage necessarily inflicted on the inside.

I can't help other than to give you the link to former threads which might be useful to you. https://tinyurl.com/yb2rf56d .

Also, re sleeping - I can only suggest you juggle with your pain meds to ensure you have a dose left to take just before bedtime. Maybe even ask your GP for stronger ones for night time. I'm sure you're right in saying that because the pain keeps you awake you then aren't up and functioning until midday but this can soon turn into a vicious circle. I always, whatever happens, get up between 7am-8am (OK, I allow myself an extra hour the morning after a transatlantic flight) and don't go to bed before 10.30pm. If I'm exceptionally tired I might have a ten minute catnap after lunch. I've also given up trying to get away with not taking pain relief at night. This is a system that has seen me through several operations but it's true that one-handedness is both tiring and painful. Have you asked your GP about pain relief? I rarely stick with what a hospital has given me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Susiesu
    Susiesu Member Posts: 3
    Hi Susiesu :D I've not had a trapeziectomy but we do get a lot of people on here asking about recovery times maybe because it's perceived to be a small operation. Small on the outside maybe but quite a lot of damage necessarily inflicted on the inside.

I can't help other than to give you the link to former threads which might be useful to you. https://tinyurl.com/yb2rf56d .

Also, re sleeping - I can only suggest you juggle with your pain meds to ensure you have a dose left to take just before bedtime. Maybe even ask your GP for stronger ones for night time. I'm sure you're right in saying that because the pain keeps you awake you then aren't up and functioning until midday but this can soon turn into a vicious circle. I always, whatever happens, get up between 7am-8am (OK, I allow myself an extra hour the morning after a transatlantic flight) and don't go to bed before 10.30pm. If I'm exceptionally tired I might have a ten minute catnap after lunch. I've also given up trying to get away with not taking pain relief at night. This is a system that has seen me through several operations but it's true that one-handedness is both tiring and painful. Have you asked your GP about pain relief? I rarely stick with what a hospital has given me.

Thank you for your reply I’m very grateful to you for that. I haven’t been back to the Doctor re my pain meds but will do. I am almost into my 8th week recovery stage. Have now had a Velcro splint given to me to wear but it is extremely painful. It rubs my scar so much that in the evening it swells up and is very red and warm to the touch? I have tried cold water flannels on my hand and pain killers don’t help? I am not due to go back to the hospital OT Department until the 20th? Any one on here have the same problem, and if so how did you manage it? Thanks in advance. Susisu.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    This might not be appropriate for you but, years ago, when I had to wear wrist splints just for my arthritis, I was given stockinette inners to help with rubbing and scratching. This sort of thing might be of help but I'don't take medical advice before using it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stockinette-Protective-Covering-Wrapped-Unbleached/dp/B00V3KT250/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_328_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G82JW8R4JQ7T9JRB12DS
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright