Lesleyk
Lesleyk Member Posts: 4
edited 3. Aug 2018, 06:01 in Say Hello Archive
Hi my name is Lelsey I have just been diagnosed with arthritis, I am from Dagenham Essex , I am finding this very hard to accept but I know I have to and it’s now part of my life
Thanks for taking time to read this

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lesley
    welcome to the community. Being diagnosed with arthritis is very hard to accept, so don't be too hard on yourself. There is a lot to take in and I am sure you are feeling overwhelmed. Just know that we are here for you every step of the way. So there is no need to rush just ask as many questions as you need to.
    We have all been where you are now so take it easy. What kind of arthritis have you been diagnosed with. If you would like to talk to someone in confidence our trained helpline team are here too. Their free confidential helpline number is 0808 800 4050. I am sure the community here will support you too
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • Lesleyk
    Hi Sharon
    I’m not sure what arthritis I have my GP Just said it’s in my hip knee and foot , I have had an mri scan and I have an appointment on Monday to find out the results. No doubt I will have more questions to ask . Thanks so much for the help line number and your support, I am looking forward to reading all the different posts
  • Lesleyk
    Morning Sharon
    Thanks for the reply I am going to call the help line and speak to them . My Gp has not told me anything, Ian going for the results of my mri scan , so hopefully find out more on Monday
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. You don't say what kind of arthritis or who diagnosed you, I am one of the lucky ones with a creaky foot in both camps: I have an auto-immune kind (psoriatic) and that in turn led to OA. The rheumatologist deals with the former and my GP the latter. I am now 59, I began aged 37 so know a little about it.

I remember my shock when the OA was diagnosed, it was a set-back but I'm OK with it all now. I hope you find the forum to be of interest and I hope to hear from you again. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Lesley :D

I expect you have osteoarthritis (OA). If you have an inflammatory kind you'll be referred to a rheumatologist. If it's simply OA your GP will deal with it. GPs can seem a bit 'uninterested' in OA. Unffortunately, there's not a lot they can for it except give you pain relief and refer you to a physiotherapist as exercise is very important.

If you look at the dark grey menu above there is lots of good advice about how to live with arthritis - sensible diet and weight, exercise(s), lifestyle etc. And, of course, we're here to help as we can.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright