A quick Introduction of myself

SteGeog
SteGeog Member Posts: 2
edited 10. Aug 2018, 05:16 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, I'm Stephen, from Oldham, Lancashire UK,, 49 yrs old, got x-rayed and diagnosed with moderate spondylitis findings in lower back, and Osteoarthritis in both knees about 4-5 Yrs ago, I looked into it, and I'd never been over weight, ""I am now"", always kept fit and healthy, I'm in constant pain with my back 24/7, and walking just hurts my knees so much, shooting pains in back, feel like soon as I hit 45 yrs old, I aged another 20 yrs, I'm on loads of painkillers and other Meds, Anyway it sounds like I'm moaning but I'm trying to say HELLO EVERYONE.[emoji38]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Stevegeog
    Welcome to the forum so sorry you are in so much pain, we all understand that as we all have forms of Arthritis it is good sometime to have others who suffer ad you do to talk to and explain what we are going through.
    The forum is full of lovely understanding and encouraging people, it won't be long until someone will contact you
    All the best Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I have psoriatic arthritis which led in turn to osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. I started aged 37, am now 59 so know my arthritic onions. Some joints have one, some the other and others both so pain is constant: of course life would be more pleasant if it wasn't but it's how things are. I take injected methotrexate and humira for the PsA and four 30/500 co-codamol for the OA.

Around a year ago I began working with a personal trainer and eventually joined a gym. I go as and when, set myself nicely low targets so I can achieve (and often exceed) them and resolutely ignore those around me because they are mostly younger and fitter. One day they won't be. :wink: Others are older and fitter but possibly not disease-ridden like me. :lol:

I have no idea what it feels like to be 60, 70, 80 etc., I joke as I lurch along that I'm not doing too badly for 59 which makes me and those around me laugh. I've been lumped into those age groups since I started this malarkey which was upsetting: when I got my first rollator in my late forties so many people told me that their Mums/Dads/Grandparents had one, not very tactful but then people aren't. Using the aids, however, has preserved more muscle strength than I realised I had and my exercises are increasing my stamina. They are altering the pain rather than decreasing it but, given the amount of joint damage in my toes, ankles and knees, that is hardly surprising.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest and I look forward to hearing from you again. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Stephen and welcome from me too.

It doesn't sound as if you're moaning, just trying to explain how things are for you which is helpful.

I don't think any kind of arthritis can be caused by being overweight though carrying too much weight will certainly make it more painful for anyone who has it.

I have few back problems but the rest of me has RA and ÓA. I've had knees and hips replaced. I think we just have to accept that pain is a constant in our lives, ignore it as much as possible and get on with what we can. I take as few pain meds as possible because I think, otherwise, they just escalate and we can easily end up taking more and more for fewer and fewer results. I don't see the point.

I stick to a healthy diet and weight. Of course the latter is harder when we are less active but also staying as active as possible is essential because strong muscles support the joints whereas weak one don't so they ache more. Have you ever been referred to a physiotherapist? It might help. Also, Arthritis Care has info on exercises on the top, grey menu.

How are you for sleeping and how long is it since you changed your mattress? That can help, too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright