Arthritis and depression

Tasha63
Tasha63 Member Posts: 3
edited 24. Aug 2018, 02:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I've been dignosed with Arthritis for four years and since been dignosed I don't go out much and don't see a lot of people I use to know. I'm feeling so low , depressed and lonely. Sometimes I feel like given up and ending it. The only thing that keeps me from doing it is my long time canine company, my 8 year old staff (Sheba ). Who has been there through think and thin. My family live in the North East (I live in the South East England ). I no longer work and due to my mobility, I don't get out at all now.

I feel desperate and I'm at a loss to how to move on from all the negative and challenging thoughts I have on a regular basis. I'm due at the doctor's today but feel I'll not get much help because usually I get to there's nothing they can do.
If anyone has any advice I'll welcome it. Thanks😕

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I am sorry that you are feeling so low. I began my first arthritis back in 1997 when I was 37, an auto-immune type which was finally identified in 2006 as psoriatic. Osteoarthritis was then diagnosed in 2011, caused by the psoriatic. That led to a plunge into depression so went to see my GP. She prescribed an anti-depressant and to this day I still take a low, daily dose on the advice of my rheumatologist. Her reasoning was that if I was stronger mentally I would cope better physically with the pain and I agree.

I began with one joint, now it's considerably more. I have used walking aids since 2002 because they enable me to get out and do more, I still drive and pursue a number of hobbies (I am a great starter but not a finisher :wink: ). I don't have a busy social life because I lack stamina but it does me good to see people, it takes my mind off me and my troubles. I do not allow the arthritis to dominate my life, I don't see why it should: yes, it has brought about great changes but as I was not healthy to begin with for me it's just more of the same.

You don't mention what kind of arthritis you have, what joints are affected or what medications you are taking, a little more information would be appreciated so we get a better picture of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    How did you get on, Tasha? I hope the GP was helpful and I do hope you managed to call our lovely Helpline people as talking is the best therapy. It's not at all unusual for arthritis and depression to go together and no wonder. But, stick with us and we'll try our best to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Hi ya. I was first diagnosed nearly 40 years ago and had problems before that, I have lived as full a life as many. Agreed the further you get from work the further you get from your peer groups, money and circumstances are the main causes.

There are millions of friends waiting for you out there in your new world, its up to you how you will start it. Its not an impossible task, we all do it. Stand up, open the door and smile, walk down the street and talk to people!

Make a plan of action, small steps at a time and carry it through. Don't beat yourself up if your attempts aren't perfect, you'll learn through it. Step one, make a plan, go on!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, how are you feeling today? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben