Time til treatment works

Maturecheese
Maturecheese Member Posts: 130
edited 28. Aug 2018, 05:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Me again. :) It seems like I've got Acid Reflux or Gastritis judging by the nausea I'm getting but I've yet to see the consultant to tell him as that's another two weeks away. I won't go into the rest of the symptoms as I've mentioned them a few times on here and I'm sure you are all familiar with it anyway.

I have had inflammation now for nearly two years, worse for the last 12 months (severe was mentioned on the helpline with the nurse) and treatment consisting of Methotrexate and Sulfasalazine for the last 7 months. It's the short appointments and the long periods between them that rile me somewhat. The only thing that has worked up until now is Prednisolone. I'll get to the point, how long is the norm before they get it under control as It's obviously doing me no good at all.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    How long is a piece of string? I think it's more a case of redefining the word 'work'. I can comprehend how difficult this must be for you, if in the past you have been ill you have taken some pills for a short period of time and got better. Now you find yourself taking nasty medication and things not improving, let alone getting better. Such is arthritis.

I know my meds are working because my bloods are lovely and the PsA is no longer causing the levels of inflammation it once could; that has to be good enough. They have never reduced pain and never will. I know the meds are working because I do not have any joint deformity (for which I am extremely grateful). I know the meds are working because without them life is considerably harder (I've tried that and not liked it.) I know they are not working as I would like (i.e. no more disease, ever, and I can stop taking them) because that is not how arthritis works. I will be going to rheumatology until the day I die (and I bet they send me appointments once I can't keep them such is their efficiency).

I have lived life since the age of 12 dependent on medication to make it work, for me it's no big deal and I appreciate that what I currently have is as good as it gets. It took years for me to find the combination of meds that has kept things under control and I am sure you will find it hard to believe that things are improving on how auto-immune arthritis is treated now. I can see the progress that has been made whenever I go to rheumatology: I am the only one with sticks, everyone else strolls about with ease. Must be nice. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Your GP can deal with acid reflux / nausea / gastritis and, if you have them persistently, I'd be getting in touch. The last thing you need is stomach / oesophageal problems.

As for the question in the title - well, I think they should be working by now but, as DD says, if your bloods are good then they are. If the bloods are still showing a problem you might get something else added to the mix or get switched to a biologic. It used to be that we'd to fail on three DMARDS first but now it seems to depend on the health authority.

Good luck with the appointment and maybe get the stomach checked out. Do you take omeprazole or lansoprazole? They might be a solution if you're not already on them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Maturecheese
    Thanks for replies

Re getting to see the gp, almost impossible around here, S Wales. Our GP surgery is so over subscribed that they now expect you to partake in a phone lottery at 8 am. Those that don't get through within 5 mins can forget it and bear in mind there are a lot of people all trying at the same time so it is nearly always engaged. A surgery in a nearby town closed recently so our surgery took on their patients even though we were already creaking at the seams, typical Welsh NHS. (attacking the structure and management not the staff)

I will bring up the nausea with the consultant when I see him in a fortnight as it is getting depressing on top of the rest. I did ring the helpline regarding the nausea but the nurse wasn't fussed on me taking my wife's cyclizine or Omeprazole as it hadn't been prescribed to me even though I had previously been prescribed Omeprazole when I was taking oral Prednisolone.

I'm currently on two DMARDS (not working) and they don't tell me what my blood inflammation levels are only the other stuff that goes in the Methotrexate book (they are even on about stopping that too). I do know that the last time they gave me my CRP levels they were really high and since then although I have requested that they check them I don't get the results at bloods.

Has anyone else had gastro or oesophageal problems with this inflammation lark?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's normally the meds that cause gastric problems not the inflammation. My inflammation levels are never checked unless there's a problem.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I have had stomach problems for many years with no definitive diagnosis, I used to have regular camera jobs but that seems to have stopped.

Might be a good idea to have a word with the chemist, just to get by till an appointment at the surgery? I find that writing an email to the surgery gets their attention, they can't ignore it.
  • Maturecheese
    Once again thanks for the advice :)