Northern Ireland TKR

TeaBag
TeaBag Member Posts: 101
edited 26. Dec 2018, 08:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Its been a wee while since I have been on here
My Tkr Is looming and I just wondered If anyone else from NI who has it done I could Chat to ? t4591

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    There are quite a few of us who have had TKRs on here but, as we don't normally know where people hail from, I've no idea if any are from N. Ireland. Does it matter? I know different surgeons have different preferences but, on the whole, the routine's the same. ARUK has some very good info on it here https://tinyurl.com/ydep88kv and I'll be glad to help answer any questions I can. I've had two TKRs and a revision.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TeaBag
    There are quite a few of us who have had TKRs on here but, as we don't normally know where people hail from, I've no idea if any are from N. Ireland. Does it matter? I know different surgeons have different preferences but, on the whole, the routine's the same. ARUK has some very good info on it here https://tinyurl.com/ydep88kv and I'll be glad to help answer any questions I can. I've had two TKRs and a revision.

Well, It does because I have more chance of meeting them at the Meetings arthritis care has Locally!
    Thanks for your Input.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to see your name again and I hope the TKR makes the difference you are probably hoping for. As for meeting people who have had it done, going by what happens on here once people are done and dusted they go off and live their lives, no longer needing a forum or support groups because they are fixed. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TeaBag
    Really? but they still have Arthritis and this is a support group
    I agree It is not as busy as It used to be I just put that down to people using Facebook Groups more
    t4591
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah, are we at cross-purposes? I am thinking about those who have OA and not an auto-immune version. I apologise for not recalling what version affects you because it's been a while, are you like me with a creaky foot in both camps? newhipandy recently returned because she moved areas and wanted to know how things would go for her with her second hip replacement, did you see her post? DD
  • TeaBag
    yes, I have Seronegative RA and Osteoarthritis among other Illness which are meaning my TKR high risk .
  • stickywicket
    I can't comment on the 'other illnesses' but I'd had RA and OA long before my first TKRs and I later (about 27 years later) had a revision on one. No-one told me I was high risk :o:lol:

If you go to the grey menu at the top and then to 'In Your Area' you can key in where you live and, hopefully, find a local branch.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you for the reminder, it's not fun doing the double, is it? In my case it's PsA, OA and fibro plus asthma and some skin bother but the last two are certainly helped by the meds for the PsA. I was refused new knees seven years ago due to extreme youth (I was 52 at the time).

I had to laugh at my neighbour (but not to her face), she had OA in one hip which was replaced in due course. She told me that's all I needed and was amazed to learn that I had it in other joints too: she thought OA only affected hips as that was her experience. :lol: Hopefully the new knee will make life more comfortable on the OA front but of course the auto-immune will trog on regardless. DD
  • TeaBag
    I am 46 and have needed the op for a good few years but other Illness and medication have prevented It hopefully on the home straight now ,but not Looking forward to It t115006
  • TeaBag
    Since that post, I am 10 weeks post op finding it hard I am back in March to talk about getting my right done I will have to think long and hard about It
    anyhow hope you all are well t69044
  • stickywicket
    Hello again, Teabag :) What exactly are you finding difficult? It must be very important if it's making you consider not having your other knee replaced. Is there any way we can help?
    Steven Wright
  • TeaBag
    Its the recovery I have a young son so find It hard there's just me and him each week gets better I am still getting Physio but have a very bad limp and pain up the back and across the front of my Knee I still can't fully lift my foot I have been told this is all normal but I have other health Issues as well so have told my Surgeon I would like to think about the next op .
  • stickywicket
    There's absolutely no harm in taking the time to think things through, especially when a young child comes into the picture. 'Normal' does vary. We are all different and react differently to things. As long as your surgeon and physio are happy they are the people who matter. Keep doing the exercises and I'm sure all will be well.
    Steven Wright
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi, I have had hip oops not knees, and I know some folk cope well with the ops close together, but I personally would prefer to get the operated on joint to as good as it will get before having the second one down.

I hired a mobility scooter before and after my second op, it made such a difference as it meant I could take S out and about more easily. I could even wear him out by turning up my speed and getting him to jog along beside. When crossing roads we had military style procedure to ensure he was safe.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.