Bayada

Options
turtle
turtle Member Posts: 30
edited 8. Sep 2018, 06:29 in Say Hello Archive
I have help from on organization called Bayada. There are homemaker aides, home health aides, nurses if necessary. The help with household tasks, laundry, shopping. Bayada is for the very poor and people over 65 who cannot manage physically or financially.

I wonder if the UK has anything like that?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Not really. Our health system is different. All doctors' visits, consultants, operations etc are free to UK citizens. After that it gets a bit complicated.

For those who need it Social Services will provide basic aids (grabber sticks, grab rails, sticks, crutches, zimmer frames, basic wheelchairs etc. Larger items are means tested. But Social Services come under the auspices of Local Authority so what they provide varies. I've just been fortunate enough to have a walk-in shower, with stool and grab rails, part-funded by my local Social Services.

We have a Meals on Wheels service but I think, for laundry, shopping and household tasks people have to arrange their own with help from a Personal Independence benefit if they qualify. You'll get more replies if you post on the Living With Arthritis forum.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright