Hi from Long Island NY

Metalplate
Metalplate Member Posts: 4
edited 9. Sep 2018, 07:12 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, I came here to see how other people live there life with fusion - screws - plates all over there body. I’m 61 now - been retired since 9-11. I’m sitting in my car waiting to see a hand & wrist Dr. had a full R/wrist fusion right after 9-11 and now my fingers are locked closed. Let’s me start reading how and what happened to you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Metalplate,

Lovely to meet you, welcome to the UK. Here in Wales the rain has just stopped, the sun's come out and the ground is gently steaming!

I’m one of the moderators, we all have arthritis or live with someone with arthritis and we help to keep the site safe and updated.

I’ve not had any fusion - either naturally or via an operation so can’t help on that score, I’ve had arthritis since 2002 and had to leave work as a teacher because of it. This year saw my first total knee replacement and I’m waiting for knee 2 to get replaced soon.

Here’s a booklet regarding wrist fusion/replacement in the UK so you can get a flavour of differences and similarities between here and the USA

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/surgery/hand-and-wrist-surgery/common-types-wrist-surgery.aspx

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi metalplate. I can see why you chose your username and I'm sorry to hear things are so tough for you. I do hope your problems weren't connected to 9/11. Arthritis is hard enough to deal with when it comes 'naturally' but I guess it must be much, much worse if it comes as a result of something as horrific as that.

Nothing actually happened to me other than I got RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was 15 and, because there were no decent meds to treat it with back then, I later developed OA (osteoarthritis). I've not had any fusions as such but my ankles, wrists, most of the bones in my feet and many of those in my fingers have fused themselves over time. I've also had knees and hips replaced.

I seem to be quite lucky as I get by quite well. There's a lot that I can't do but there's also plenty that I can.

I don't know how many on here have plates. Knees and hips are regulars, fusions a bit less so. You may get more replies if you post on the Living With Arthritis forum as more people look in on there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    No metal in me yet, just decaying and destroyed joints. I hope that you are able to find some answers to your situation but arthritis is often underestimated in what it can do.

I have psoriatic arthritis which began in '97 when I was 37 and osteoarthritis which was diagnosed in 2011 so have a creaky foot in both camps. I began with one affected joint, now it's around forty but no matter. The disease affects me but does not define me, I managed to work for seventeen years, finally stopping after a double carpal tunnel operation but I was fortunate in that I was self-employed which made a great difference. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben