Hi from Hereford UK undiagnosed

PORTKEY
PORTKEY Member Posts: 2
edited 10. Sep 2018, 05:37 in Say Hello Archive
Hi there,
I am living with a lot of pain in the shoulder and waiting for x-ray appointment.
I am just joining in case my physiotherapist is right in thinking I have OA.
My doctor thinks not as I am too young. 50 next year.

I shall have a mooch through this forum to get some more information.

Cheers x t4591

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Portkey and welcome to the forums.

You may find some useful information on the website: start by clicking the "Do I have arthritis" button at the top of the page.

For more specific information on your condition, you may also like to take a look at the Arthritis Research website's section on Osteoarthritis of the shoulder: https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/shoulder-pain/specific-conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-shoulder.aspx

Hope that the x-ray gives a clear diagnosis and indications as to how you can treat the pain from which you suffer. Do come back and let us know how you get on.

All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome from me too :D

You have some every useful links there from Mod Brynmor so I won't repeat stuff.

Unfortunately it's quite possible to have arthritis at a much younger age than you but that doesn't mean to say that's what you do have. The x-rays should make things clearer. I hope you don't have it. If you do, the physio is your friend :wink: Exercise is essential.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    One of the most common misconceptions amongst those who know nothing (and those who should know something) about arthritis is that it only affects the elderly. My OA was diagnosed in 2011 when I was 52 and it's there as a result of my other arthritis which began when I was 37. Your GP needs to shake up his thinking.

There are around ten million arthritics in the UK, the majority of whom have OA. It's a very PC disease in that it is not gender-specific or ageist, it ignores colour, creed or class. It is diagnosed via X-ray so hopefully you will soon know what is going on. I have it in many joints, including my left shoulder which I broke in January 2014. I manage with pain relief and not doing anything stupid (my options on that front grow ever shorter after twenty two years of this nonsense. :lol: ) I wish you well and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben