Hello !

Joe1969
Joe1969 Member Posts: 2
edited 14. Sep 2018, 06:07 in Say Hello Archive
Hello ! I am a new member to the forum after doing a search on the net. I have been reading with great interest the many topics and find the site very informative as well as inspirational, what a great supportive forum.

I was referred to Rheumatology about a month ago and have just been diagnosed with RA. I have been experiencing pain for about two years, some periods worse than others. I have pain in my shoulder, both hands, knees and feet. The rheumatologist gave me a steroid depot last week however this does not appear to have worked as yet. I am awaiting the results from a chest xray before commencing methotrexate, although i am a little apprehensive after reading the possible side effects but will try anything to help control it and reduce the pain.

Anyway onwards an upwards :D

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joe
    Welcome to the forum sorry you are going through a rough time at the moment. The forums are full of lovely understanding and encouraging people who will understand what you are going through.
    Just visit any forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. Over my auto-immune arthritic years I've had a number of steroid depos into my backside and injections into joints and they did nothing, the only one that was effective was into my right ankle for my osteoarthritis but, as it wore off after three months I haven't bothered to have any more.

I began the auto-immune arthritis back in 1997, started the meds in 2002 and OA was diagnosed in 2011 so I've had a few years to navigate the arthritis mine field. I was born with auto-immune troubles so for me it's more of the same, if you are coming at this from a healthy background then it must be a shock. I've been taking injected meth for years now and have no trouble with it, apart from feeling extra tired occasionally the day after. We are monitored when on these medications to pick up the first signs of trouble and I know from experience that the system works. People are undestandably apprehensive about methotrexate but, quite simply, those for whom it is working effectively and they are getting on as normal won't bother finding a forum, assuming that everyone is like them. I know it's working for me but my definition of 'working' will be unlike any you've come across. :wink:

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we all get it because we've all got it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Joe. I'm sorry the steroid jab didn't work. They can be a bit of a lottery. They work better for some than others and there's no guarantee they will work even when they have done previously. I hope you can get on the meth(otrexate) soon but even that doesn't work instantly. It's more of a 'build up' med and can take up to 12 weeks.

These meds do look very scary on paper but most people will not experience any side-effects and, even if we do, the regular blood tests highlight any 'incoming problem' before it arises. Hence the value of being very conscientious about them.

Also, do get a free flu jab. They'll be in your GP's surgery very soon. As the aim of our medication is to depress our overactive immune systems it's important to do our best to avoid colds and flu. I hope all goes well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright