Questions and queries

Options
Val
Val Member Posts: 6
edited 21. Sep 2018, 10:14 in Say Hello Archive
Hello, I'm new, was diagnosed on Monday with osteoarthritis of the knee, but also have a pain in left hand between thumb and next finger. Seeing the doctor on 9th October to discuss the diagnosis and way forward I assume.
I think I'm looking for ideas on how other people coped with the pain/what pain relief they first started on/general wellbeing etc.
I have suffered with fibromyalgia for 10 years but that was spasmodic/flare ups not the constant pain I find myself in atm which is a bit upsetting
Sorry for the long blurb

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Val
    and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but it is good you are going to see the Dr again soon. There a lots of different ways of managing the pain, these include medication, and other techniques like using heat and cold. Here is a link you might find useful https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/
    I am sure some of our members will also share their experience with you. Lets us know how you get on and also ask as many questions as you like, that is what we are here for
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Val and warm welcome form me
    I have pain in my thumbs and was offered an op,and have had injections in then, but at the moment I use splints the ones that reach the wrist , because I also have OA in them.. they are so comfy once you do the Velcro up..but not to worn all the time..I hope you can find something to help
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have an auto-immune arthritis which has led to the development of OA. Some joints have ones some the other and others both. To be honest I have forgotten what it was like when it was only affecting one or two joints, I used tablet pain relief then and also now (just a stronger form) and for the OA I will apply an ibuprofen to such as voltarol which reduces the local inflammation which can happen when I've overdone things. Capsaicin cram is also effective and can be bought over-the -counter (OTC as we say on here). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben