Metal on Metal Hip issues.

premierscfc04
premierscfc04 Member Posts: 57
edited 22. Oct 2018, 04:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone have either a total hip replacement or a resurface (as I had 10 yrs ago) that is metal on metal?
I have been having groin pain in my resurfaced left hip for about a year and I had an echo on it yesterday. They found soft tissue inflammation which they told me was indicative of chromium/cobalt particles in my hip joint.
I have been referred for a MRI to confirm this is the cause of my pain, if so I believe the only option is to remove/replace it

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think this topic arose on Helplines, a search should reveal any former threads. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hello premiercfc04,

It might be helpful for you to look at this old thread:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44869&hilit=metal+on+metal+hip

Frogmorton in her reply lists several other old threads on the subject.

Do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Ellen
  • premierscfc04
    Thanks so much DD & Ellen for your replies, I've just been given an appointment to see the surgeon on 28th Dec, reading the supplied threads has put my mind at rest after seeing other members successful revisions.

christmas01

hcold

I'll post any updates on this thread.
  • premierscfc04
    I'm hopefully. Getting my THR on Monday after this very long wait, I'm hoping the pain from the MoM hip joint will finally go.
    I will post how it goes after the op.
    Thanks for your advice it helped with my decision to keep pushing for it to be revised.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Very best of luck for Monday

Here's to a successful revision! Fingers crossed for you.

If you get five minutes when you've recovered do let us know how it goes.

Take care

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    At long last! Good luck and please let us know how you get on. DD
  • premierscfc04
    The op did go ahead as planned and was a total success and I can say the the MoM pain is long gone.
    Unfortunately I hoped to be an inpatient for 3 to 4 days max but was miffed to be in for a total 10 days, this was because by BP dropped through the floor and heart rate raced to compensate. It all eventually transpired that this was caused because I've been on Prednisone 7.5 daily since 2012 and my body needed extra cortisone (natural steroid) to cope with trauma of the op and my long term pred had stopped it working normally.

Double dose pred has thankfully got me home 😁 and my dizzy/cold sweats/nausea have ceased.

Being confined to bed isn't ideal after a revision/thr surgery but I'm glad to report it's all going well.

I hope everyone else is well despite the change in the season.
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm pleased that you're done and dusted - now the hard work begins. :wink: Regaining muscle strength, stamina and flexibility is far harder work than losing it. It's good they sorted the pred too, it does wonders in propping but the troubles it brings in its wake can be a darned nuisance. DD
  • premierscfc04
    Thanks for that DD, my problems which kept me bedbound for 10 days with only bed exercises have meant my muscle pain has been extended but that won't stop me as I'm an old hat at building up muscles post op.
    As you said the op is the easy bit and the post op is always tougher, I'm now waiting to go back on my Biologic, Leflunomide & Methotrexate which is not helping and my first outpatient physio is on Monday.

All I say is bring it on😜

:animal_busy:
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, how are things going? I hope your recovery continues apace. DD