Spine and Hips

Options
JYKelly
JYKelly Member Posts: 2
edited 25. Sep 2018, 12:30 in Say Hello Archive
Hello. I'm new on here. I have been diagnosed with hip and spinal arthritis and had to retire early because of it. Over the last 6 years it has obviously got worse, to the point where I now cannot walk any distance. I am taking Gabapentin and Zapain just to get any respite. It has seriously affected my day to day life. I am also Type 1 diabetic so I am unable to use various pain relief creams. As all of you will be aware, both conditions are in the auto-immune spectrum so I wonder what else life has in store for me?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Coping with pain is a real difficulty for almost anyone with any type of arthritis, but I’m sure spinal pain is one of the worst as it affects so many areas of the body.

Being forced to leave work is hard too, something it took me quite a while to adjust to, though now I’m glad I don’t have the pressure of work to cope with.

Here’s a link to the Versus Arthritis (the new site for Arthritis Care and Arthritis Research UK now they’ve joined forces) information on ankylosing spondylitis, another name for arthritis of the spine.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/ankylosing-spondylitis/

There are a number of people with the same or similar conditions as yourself, Do let us know of any areas where we could be of most help and join in any of the forums

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I am lucky in that my spine is not affected but, like every other arthritic, unlucky in that lots of other places are. I began with psoriatic arthritis (PsA) back in 1997 and that in due course has led to osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. My rheumatologist deals with my PsA and ignores the OA, the GP deals with the OA and ignores the PsA. I do my best to ignore both.

Having been born with eczema and then developing asthma aged seven the PsA was no great surprise but the OA was, I naively thought that one either had an anti-immune or osteo, learning one can have both was a shock. :lol: For the OA the GP prescribes pain relief which is 30/500 cocodamol. I usually take four per day and top up if necessary with either paracetamol or, if things are not going well, 12.5/500 which I can buy OTC. I have been offered other things such as amytryptaline but refused because the meds I take for the PsA are pretty heavy-duty and I would rather be in pain and alert than have the pain softened by taking me away from it. I am, however, lucky, in that my spine is unaffected, yours is a very different ball-game to the one I play.

What is your precise diagnosis? Arthritis is a vague term that covers a very wide range of inflammatory conditions. Of the two I have I prefer the OA because it is more honest in how it presents. When I overdo things the resulting inflammation is localised and easily dealt with by ice, rest and voltarol (which I realise is not possible for you). Has anyone suggested Capsaicin cream? This is based on the active ingredients of chillies but I don't know any more about it than that. GPs have been known to prescribe it, a pharmacist may be able to tell you more about it. Many say their OA flares but mine definitely doesn't, it worsens in adverse weather but improves, it worsens when I've been too busy but it eases. When the PsA flares the inflammation affects my whole body, fatigue is overwhelming and it lasts for weeks.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we all get it because we've all got it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hello JYKelly

and welcome to the forum from me too :)

I see you have arthritis in your back and hips - you have my sympathy. You don't say which type of Arthritis you have been diagnosed with?

You are unlucky to have diabetes too :?

I hope life will turn out well for you.

This is a great forum do ask us anything and if we can help we will.

Take care

Toni