Packing Medication on Flights

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 17. Oct 2018, 11:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everybody,

I hope you're all okay and enjoying this autumn sunshine which certainly brightens up my day. m0150

I need others advise as Mr Legs and I are traveling to Seville to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary shortly and I'm wondering how to pack my prescribed medication.

My pharmacist dispenses all my pills into bottles so I don't have to struggle with blister packs. I'm wondering if I carry the meds in my hand luggage or suitcase? I've tried looking at the RyanAir website but am not getting very far so I thought others on this forum might have experience of this.

Do I need a letter from my GP or will my repeat prescription form be enough?

Hope you can help me.

Love,
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That sounds like a special trip.

I always take my medication in my hand luggage along with my repeat prescription, I've been to several European countries and not had a problem. When I went to New Zealand I got a letter from my GP and respiratory consultant as the NZ website suggested it was necessary, having said which neither letter was checked. I use pain patches which is one of the meds you have to sign for at the pharmacy and no one has asked about them yet.

If your GP will do a letter it may be useful but not necessary! One thought -when I went to NZ it was necessary to declare the meds on the entry form at the airport, but thus far not in Europe-who knows what will happen post Brexit :oops:

Deb
  • lindalegs
    dibdab wrote:
    ........ One thought -when I went to NZ it was necessary to declare the meds on the entry form at the airport, but thus far not in Europe-who knows what will happen post Brexit :oops:

Deb

How true Debs, next year will be a whole new ball game :shock:

Thank you for your very informative reply, I think I'll do as you suggest and put it in my hand luggage along with my repeat prescription. I probably won't bother the doctor about a letter as we're still in the EU at the moment.
    t69044

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Just a thought as you mentioned Ryanair. They are currently changing their baggage policy. Hand baggage will mean a handbag only, not a small suitcase. ALL suitcases will go into the hold ( for a fee of course). So your medication will have to fit in your handbag ( or manbag for the guys). Just one more irritation that lesser abled people have to put up with. Have a great holiday.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'm not an expert on such matters but I would contact your hair pins (my auto-correct version of airline and too good to correct) and ask them for guidance. I hope you have a wonderful time! DD

PS Ryanair? Good luck, I wouldn't be surprised if their policy is the first pill goes free then every successive one is surcharged.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    dreamdaisy wrote:

PS Ryanair? Good luck, I wouldn't be surprised if their policy is the first pill goes free then every successive one is surcharged.

Spot on DD
  • lindalegs
    Hi Jennand,

Thank you for that. I'm thinking I'll take the pills I need in my hand luggage in labelled bottles and put the other bottles in our suitcase. We have paid for 20kg each but will have to share as I can't handle a suitcase even on wheels!

You're right we don't get a fair crack of the whip do we :(

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Thank you DD :)

We are going to ring them about the 'assistance' that we've booked so when we do get through.....! :roll:

:D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I take a repeat prescription with me but never had a problem. We're going via Ryan Air soon but they have allowed us a 10kg small bag which goes in the hold plus a cabin bag, I did confirm this.

I wonder if they are airfreighting goods around, rather than passengers luggage?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    The advice is to keep tablets in your hand luggage and I would support that 100%.

Once we arrived in Cape Verde years ago and Lucy's case was missing. So no epilepsy meds :shock: :shock:

To be honest I now tend to pack some in my case, hers AND hand luggage.

Once bitten twice shy for me!

Have a lovely holiday Legs :D
  • lindalegs
    Hi Airwave,

Thank you for replying, I think Ryan Air just like to make the money on passenger's baggage and add-ons so the actual fare looks cheap!

We knew about this luckily before we booked and were prepared for the inflated cost.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Hi Toni,

Good to see you again! How scary to be separated from such important meds!

Hand luggage it now is then in case our suitcase gets lost :roll: ...perhaps clean knickers and toothbrush too! :lol:

And thanks, we've made up our minds to have a wonderful time m0150

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    m0150 m0150 m0150

Good to see you too Legs seems like ages!

Love

Toni xx
  • lindalegs
    frogmorton wrote:
    m0150 m0150 m0150

Good to see you too Legs seems like ages!

Love

Toni xx

That's cos it is Toni! :lol:
    t69044

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • sve170
    sve170 Member Posts: 14
    lindalegs wrote:
    dibdab wrote:
    ........ One thought -when I went to NZ it was necessary to declare the meds on the entry form at the airport, but thus far not in Europe-who knows what will happen post Brexit :oops:

Deb

How true Debs, next year will be a whole new ball game :shock:

Thank you for your very informative reply, I think I'll do as you suggest and put it in my hand luggage along with my repeat prescription. I probably won't bother the doctor about a letter as we're still in the EU at the moment.
    t69044

Love,
    If you are carrying a lot of meds I recommend you place them in hand luggage, in case checked luggage goes missing. But also take an official letter from your GP, this would then alleviate any issues during bag search’s on departure and arrival abroad.
    Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • lindalegs
    Well, we're back after a wonderful time! m0150

For others who may wish to know my experience.

I put all my tablets in small labelled bottles in a zip top clear (Ikea) plastic bag along with my repeat prescription. I had them in my hand luggage just so I knew they would arrive with me and be where I was all the time.

I did not take my Benepali injection with me as I timed it so that I injected the day of leaving and resume tomorrow.

Mr Legs did likewise with his tablets though his were all in the labelled tablet strips out of the boxes.

Thank you to everyone who contributed advice to my thread. :D
    t120006

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am pleased you had a lovely time and I hope that any payback is at the minimum level possible. This is a topic that regularly appears so we will be able to tell people to search for your very helpful and informative thread. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    Whatever the payback, I have no regrets :D
    t69044

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Grace111 wrote:
    Great thread lindalegs .....I am off to Germany next year but I always travel by train as I love train journeys
    Grace111

Me too Grace. There's something very special about train journeys ....if a little hair raising to get on and off :shock: :lol:

Have a great time when you do go in case I'm not around to wish you well then! :D
    h020.gif

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    I hope you and Mr Legs had a fabulous 4oth wedding anniversary t4591

Congratulations Legs :D

I am so glad all went really well.

I am rather interested in Grace111's train idea....hmmmm :?

Love

Toni xx
  • lindalegs
    frogmorton wrote:
    I hope you and Mr Legs had a fabulous 4oth wedding anniversary t4591

Congratulations Legs :D

I am so glad all went really well.

I am rather interested in Grace111's train idea....hmmmm :?

Love

Toni xx

I wish there was a like button as on Facebook!

a040.gif

And thank you Toni, we certainly did!

Love,
    Love, Legs x