Falling down

petals
petals Member Posts: 217
edited 3. Oct 2018, 06:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
This year I have had three pretty painful incidents of falling down. I am a bit worried as I have not fallen over since I was a child. The most recent fall was 4 weeks ago and resulted in a broken shoulder. Unbelievably, I only found out today that my shoulder was in fact broken. For the past month, I thought it was just badly bruised and I have lived with it by taking my pain meds and resting it when I can, I have even carried on working and driving even though it was very painful.

So, now I know that I have a pretty serious injury I am quite upset and more than a little shocked.

My confidence has taken a bit of a battering and I am now worried in case I fall again.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did you suddenly start falling over.

My x rays show some joint damage due to RA as well as my broken bone. Is it this that has caused a weakness do you think or is it just my age catching up with me ?(I’m 58 this year)
I have had RA for eight years.

I don’t really know what to think.

Sorry for the pity party, thanks for reading.

Petals

Comments

• viewmaster
    viewmaster Member Posts: 31
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Petals, your not on your own, I was dating for an operation on my wrist last April when I fell over was more of a trip over & ended up breaking the arm of the wrist I was waiting for Surgery on.
    Caused me to have my arm in plaster & left me with a crooked arm, did get my wrist done last September.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Join the club Petals. I’ve had 3 full on cartoon type falls ( seemingly slow motion, stagger for yards then A over T & flat on my face). Hubby was with me twice but once I was on my own, in the crowded town centre and I was mortified. But quite a few people came to my aid including one lady who insisted on accompanying me to my car. That one resulted in a fractured cheek bone.
    I think it is a combination of arthritis, medication and general slower responses. Hopefully it won’t happen again but I know how upset you are feeling.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've had one nasty fall in 2014 caused by my rollator (I tripped over the side bar and broke my upper left humerus). I have also had one or two far less serious ones tripping over steps and some trips on uneven paving slabs, all of these were caused by my not paying enough attention to what I was doing.

As my arthritis has progressed I have found that I have to focus completely on the task-in-hand. I have been known to walk past friends because I haven't seen them, if I want to admire the scenery I stop walking to look around me. Although I am now walking further for longer unaided I am very vigilant, like Gerald Ford I cannot walk and talk. :wink: I have PsA plus OA, affected areas include my toes, ankles, knees and hips so walking is not the easiest of things but maintaining my mobility safely is essential for my overall well-being. I always use my rollator when in town, I tried it once without and it was horrible as everyone thought I was like them, able to dodge on a sixpence dogs, children and phone-focussed morons. My unaided walking is done around the house, around the local streets and in the park. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • petals
    Thank you for your replies. I guess it’s just another thing to be careful of. Hope you are all feeling well today.

Petals x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    What were you doing up at that time Petals?! I hope you are ok?

Thank you all is as well as can be with me :)

Toni x
  • petals
    frogmorton wrote:
    What were you doing up at that time Petals?! I hope you are ok?

Thank you all is as well as can be with me :)

Toni x

I was chucking some laminate flooring into the trailer. Missed my footing and went down landing on my elbows on concrete. My elbows were fine but my shoulder took the impact. As I was alone in the house I managed to pick myself up and put a hot water bottle on my shoulder. Unbelievably I went back outside an hour later and finished the job.

I’m ok now thanks Toni but probably got a bit of physio ahead of me.

Petals x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I went a pearler a couple of weeks ago, it was like slow motion, I was so cross with myself, a couple of large lads picked me up, madam dusted me off. Woke up next morning feeling rather sore.

Yes, something to be aware of.
  • turtle
    turtle Member Posts: 30
    I have fallen. Once broke pelvis and sacrum and ribs,then two vertebrae. I keep my eyes on the ground, too, and am always fearful I will fall again.

I wear what it called a "Lifeline", a pendant around my neck that will send a signal from anywhere (in town, at home, far away - it is satellite operated - to a center that will identify where I am and send help.

Does such exist in the UK?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Yes, we have those kinds of things too.

How are you doing Petals? Still upright I hope! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lucy14
    Lucy14 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Petals
    I fully sympathise with you..
    I'm always falling over..luckily i bounce as i tell people when im holding the tears back...
    worse injury I have is torn my rotor cuff ligaments or tendons (Can't remember which not to good at taking in information at the mo).
    I am dreading doing some real damage it really knocks your confidence..
    Hope you are feeling better xx

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk