Coca Cola ad

Options
daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 26. Sep 2018, 07:48 in Community Chit-chat archive
I saw the latest offering last night, timed to to cash in on National Recycling Week(who knew? I didn't. Effective - not!)
Now I realise that I, along with some others on the forum, have views on the use of language which others may find pedantic but I think I may not be the only one who finds the last line/message of the ad somewhat erm, odd, I think is the best way to put it.
Message from young girl to boy(after some daft action across two trains involving consumption of a bottle of Coca Cola) "Thanks for recycling that Coke". What she actually meant was the Coke bottle, but presumably the target audience wouldn't bother about the difference.
Recycling the Coke itself once drunk involves processes and places the majority of folks don't wish to know about.....even though much of our tapwater relies, indirectly, on it happening.
The ad achieved its primary aim I suppose in that I know what the product was, and the secondary message about recycling. Whether leaving me in mind of the phrase(originating in Australia I believe) 'If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down' is the best way to achieve that I don't know. Good thing I don't drink the stuff.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think that that the weeks (as in seven days) dedicated to particular themes began as a good idea but now there are too many for the limited number available. I wonder if some form of combining could be done? The idea of opposites attracting is delicious . . .

There is an increasing use of sloppy language (which is something I am sure my parents said of my generation). Machinery bears some responsibility as people fail to (or don't realise they should) check what they are typing; they will defiantly buy something again (woo-hoo!) and one girl posted on a forum for one disease or another that she was recently diagnosed and sacred. That one made me laugh for ages.

The onus is increasingly on the reader / listener to decide what is trying to be communicated and, if they misinterpret, they are the ones in the wrong. Increasingly those who are speaking and writing publicly do so with less ability and assurance because they lack vocabulary and know no better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    daffy2 wrote:
    I saw the latest offering last night, timed to to cash in on National Recycling Week...………………………………….

"Thanks for recycling that Coke". What she actually meant was the Coke bottle, but presumably the target audience wouldn't bother about the difference...……………..
    Recycling the Coke itself once drunk involves processes and places the majority of folks don't wish to know about.....even though much of our tapwater relies, indirectly, on it happening.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Lets face it, Coke Cola are appealing to youngsters who should but don't know any different. Advertising takes a hold of many themes that are nothing to do with it, christmas, santa claus, youth, transport and messes with the message in order to promote itself. Dumbing down its own brand with an incorrect spelling and use of language signifies how how little it cares.

Never had a taste for rubbish drinks and it takes calcium out of our systems and increases calorie intake substantially whilst destroying teeth, bet they won't advertise that!