Hi, I'm new here.... Is it yoga slowing down the symptoms?

Options
MilanFromPrague
MilanFromPrague Member Posts: 9
edited 4. Oct 2018, 05:04 in Say Hello Archive
I am new here. My name is Milan, I'm 40 years old, I'm diagnosed in the 2nd stage of arthritis associated with hypermobility syndrome. The pain begins now with colder weather.
To that, I work at a private rehabilitation clinic in Prague, so I meet everyday patients with heavy arthritic conditions. So what is coming through my mind is, who help you with the prevention? Yes, I'm most interested now how to prevent arthritis, how to slowing down the symptoms of arthritis. I am interested in diet and light exercise. I like to start to do the yoga. Does somebody have a positive experience?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Milan,
    Welcome to the forum.
    People (myself included) often do find that changing their diet can have a positive impact on their arthritis symptoms and there is some research to support this.

A healthy diet and lifestyle may help lessen the intensity and frequency of flare-ups and possibly slow down the progress of arthritis.
    However, it's important to note that, as far as we currently understand, there is no way to prevent or cure arthritis through diet or exercise . Here is a link to some information about arthritis and diet, which may be helpful:
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/diet/

Also, some information about arthritis and yoga - it is from 2012 but should still be useful, it seems the most important thing is to go to a class and talk to the teacher so they can advise you appropriately:
    https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/arthritis-today-magazine/155-winter-2012/yoga-trial.aspx

Do keep in contact and let us know how you get on,

Ann
  • MilanFromPrague
    Options
    Hi Ann,

Thank you for welcoming me in the forum, for the answers, and for the links. I will read them later today.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Milan, it's nice to meet you. I have psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis, both conditions are degenerative and progressive but steps can be taken to slow that progression. Maintaining a sensible weight and regularly doing appropriate exercise (and any exercises recommended by a physiotherapist) will help to maintain better muscle strength and flexibility but is not necessarily enough to stop the disease or reverse joint damage.

I began when I was 37 with one affected joint, I am now 59 and have around forty. So what? That's what the disease can do and in my case has. Not everyone has arthritis like me, for many it stays in one or two joints which is still hard but easier in some ways. Once damage is done it cannot be undone but whether that can be stopped from happening well, that's the puzzle which no-one has yet solved.

The root cause of any disease is life, the gifting of which was out of our control. Disease raises its ugly head regardless of attempts to avoid it, always has and always will. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi MilanFromPrague

Lovely to meet you :)

I think in some respects I am healthier than before I was diagnosed with arthritis!!

Prior to my diagnosis I took my health for granted and now I keep an eye on my weight, eat more healthily and walk almost every day. My fitbit puts me right up there for my age! That's based on exercise it knows I do as well as my resting heart rate etc

I also do relaxation yoga for strength.

Therefore I hope the diagnosis will give you the chance to make positive changes too.

take care

Toni xx
  • MilanFromPrague
    Options
    Hi Toni xx,

Lovely to meet you too :)
    Your words really cheer me up. Thank you very much.
    I felt like ouch I'm sick, poor boy. Then I began thinking that I will find the way how to fight with that.
    I'm not overweight, but working mostly sitting behind the computer.
    My body should be stronger too.
    I try some diets and walking ...
    Yeah, I feel better already :)

Thanks again

MilanFromPrague
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi MilanFromPrague

Lovely to meet you :)

I think in some respects I am healthier than before I was diagnosed with arthritis!!

Prior to my diagnosis I took my health for granted and now I keep an eye on my weight, eat more healthily and walk almost every day. My fitbit puts me right up there for my age! That's based on exercise it knows I do as well as my resting heart rate etc

I also do relaxation yoga for strength.

Therefore I hope the diagnosis will give you the chance to make positive changes too.

take care

Toni xx
  • MilanFromPrague
    Options
    Ann,

Thank you very much for useful links... finally, I had some to go over and absorb new information. I think in stage 2 I can really help my body slow down the process of suffering. With the proper diet and easy exercise.
    moderator wrote:
    Hi Milan,
    Welcome to the forum.
    People (myself included) often do find that changing their diet can have a positive impact on their arthritis symptoms and there is some research to support this.

A healthy diet and lifestyle may help lessen the intensity and frequency of flare-ups and possibly slow down the progress of arthritis.
    However, it's important to note that, as far as we currently understand, there is no way to prevent or cure arthritis through diet or exercise . Here is a link to some information about arthritis and diet, which may be helpful:
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/diet/

Also, some information about arthritis and yoga - it is from 2012 but should still be useful, it seems the most important thing is to go to a class and talk to the teacher so they can advise you appropriately:
    https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/arthritis-today-magazine/155-winter-2012/yoga-trial.aspx

Do keep in contact and let us know how you get on,

Ann
  • MilanFromPrague
    Options
    Hallo dreamdaisy
    It is very nice to meet you too :)
    I'm very sorry to hear about your illness, I think you're a brave and strong fighter.
    I would like to ask, in your case, is not the possibility of joint surgery?