Osteoarthritis in lesser toes?

g7ivp
g7ivp Member Posts: 4
Hello,

I have a history of Osteoarthritis i.e. both knees (several Arthroscopes), right great toe (fused 2003) and left great toe (cheilectomy 2006) so I guess it's fair to say I have a predisposition to it. My left great toe has been giving pain again and an x-ray confirms a 1cm spur so my GP is referring me to an orthopedic surgeon.

My question is it possible to get Osteoarthritis in the smaller toes as I have numbness in the middle toe of my right foot and that has always preceded the pain where it has materialized in the big toes?

When I went to my GP with this latest problem she wasn't keen to send me for an x-ray but I pushed for it and you can only do so much in a ten minute appointment so I didn't get a chance to ask her and I can only find references to great toes on the web.

Thanks in Anticipation.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi g7ivp
    I have left a message for you on Hello.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I am not a member of Helplines, just an ordinary forum bod. My toes are affected by my auto-immune arthritis; arthritis is always a possibility no matter what the joint. The disease does not distinguish between joints so why should we? When a joint is affected it causes us to alter how we move, stand, sit etc. thus potentially throwing other joints out of kilter, hence the arthritis 'spreads'. Numbness, however, suggests to me an issue more nerve-related, it could be that something is being impinged maybe thanks to the spur or the arthritis spreading: we are only arthritics, not docs, but it does not seem unfeasible to me that OA could be affecting other toes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    Hi g7ivp

I'm sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing in your smaller toes. If you'd like to talk about your arthritis, you are very welcome to ring our freephone (Tel 0800 5200 520 9am - 8pm Monday - Friday.

Our information on foot pain which I'm attaching mentions pain medication, and lifestyle advice for footwear and exercise.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/foot-and-ankle-pain/

Because we are not medically trained we cannot give you individual medical advice.

If you feel you need to ask more questions about your toes, you may wish to discuss a referral with your GP.

Here's a link to our general information on ways of managing osteoarthritis - and it's well worth eating carefully to control bodyweight and keep moving to look after the strength in your muscles.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis/

I hope this is helpful.

Guy
    (Helpline Team)