Ovarian cyst found inadvertently. Advice please.

Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 14. Oct 2018, 06:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Apologies that this isn't arthritis related, but I know there are lots of wise heads on this forum!

A few weeks ago I had a routine ultrasound for my kidney stones and kidney cyst. The kidney stones hadn't grown any bigger and neither had the cyst, so all is good and the urologist discharged me as they've been monitored for quite a few years now. However, they also found an ovarian cyst, which hadn't been there at last year's ultrasound.

I saw my GP about it - I would really like to be referred - and he said he would write to the gynaecologist and ask his/her advice. For some reason he seemed reluctant to refer me straight away. I know from reading the NHS Choices website that the best practice for postmenopausal women is to monitor the cyst by ultrasound every 3/4 months and blood tests at the same time, up to a year. I'm 72 and the cyst is septated. I had a CA125 blood test and this came back normal, so that was a relief.

Have others had a cyst of this type? Was it monitored successfully under the Gynaecology Department?

Meg

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I inadvertantly found an ovarian cyst the week after 9/11 but in very different circumstances. I understand your concern, it's yet another thing to be dealt with (as if you didn't already have enough on your plate): how very frustrating this must be.

I have no idea what septated means but it's good news that it is benign. I'm not sure why your GP is unwilling to directly refer you but maybe he does not feel this is urgent. I think the NHS Choices website reflects that too with the advice to monitor but, if I was in a similar situation, monitoring wouldn't appeal to me either.

I say let him write to the gynae and let's see what they have to say: for all we know they might want to see you straight away to get this sorted. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose2
    Thanks DD. I spoke to the GP's secretary this afternoon and the hospital haven't got back to him yet. However, I told her I really just wanted a referral and she said she would remind him about this. So we'll see what happens.

I want the referral so that the cyst can be monitored, which is what the NHS website advises for postmenopausal women. A septated cyst is one where it is divided into different sections, so it isn't a simple cyst which would definitely be benign. According to the website, the monitoring should include ultrasounds as well as blood tests, so it really needs to be under a consultant.

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    This could be an explanation as to why your GP is reluctant to refer you, Megrose. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34421115

I can see that, if your other cysts have been monitored and found to be non-threatening, the logical thought might be that this one will be the same but.......easy to think that way when it's not your own body.

Do let us know how the GP responds when he gets a reply from the gynae.

My son, in USA, has to have 3-monthly scans as a precaution and his insurance doesn't cover it so it's $300 a time.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Thanks Sticky. That's a lot of money your son has to pay for his scans. We're so lucky to have the NHS here, even though it is creaking.

I only mentioned the kidney cyst as I was leaving the doctor's surgery and he was surprised, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't aware of it until that point!

That's a very interesting link, thank you. I hate to think that money is the case for his reluctance. It really goes against the basic trust you place in your GP, doesn't it? However, If he can guarantee that I can have the blood tests and ultrasounds with him, then that will be fine. I just wasn't sure that he would be able to order ultrasounds at the hospital. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Thanks again.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    I wouldn't be surprised if the advice from the gynaecologist matches the NHS recommendation for monitoring etc. but I am not a gynae, GP or in charge of anything remotely useful to you. :) My cyst was 3.8kgs, everyone thought ( me included) that I was just fat. :lol: DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Megrose, I was thinking of you in the early hours because my insides where something used to be were twanging, which led me to wonder how you are getting on: have you been referred as you wished? DD