Naproxen

Options
Flo
Flo Member Posts: 4
Have been prescribed Naproxen but worried about interaction with other meds.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Flo and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

Naproxen is a Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) prescribed for different kinds of arthritis that reduce inflammation and control pain, swelling and stiffness.

You don't say why you have been prescribed Naproxen or if you are taking other medication - knowing a little bit about your arthritis experience will help forum members when replying to your query.

With using Naproxen, remember to take it with a little food to protect your stomach and, if you don't already take a stomach-protecting medication such as omeprazole or lansoprazole, it's probably worth talking to your GP about this.

The Helplines Team will be here tomorrow and so it may be useful to add a bit more about your condition and medication to this thread so they can be more helpful.

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • Flo
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. I take methotrexate, thyroxine, folic acid, ramipril and co-codamol. Have read mixed things about naproxen.
  • Flo
    Options
    Also meant to say have been told to only take it for two weeks at a time when I get a flare up.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hi Flo. I'm not one of the Helpline team just an ordinary forum member with RA and OA. I take methotrexate and another DMARD for my RA.

There are bad things to be said about any medication but sometimes they're necessary. Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory drug. If taken without due care and attention all anti-inflammatories can damage the stomach lining. This will be partly why you've been told to only take it for two weeks at a time. Also, docs prefer not to prescribe anti-inflammatories along with methotrexate if they can avoid it. But there are lots of people on here who take both.

If you are worried about it do have a word with either your GP or your local pharmacist. I prefer to take as few medications as possible but sometimes they are necessary, hopefully just for a short time. I hope this might help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Flo wrote:
    Have been prescribed Naproxen but worried about interaction with other meds.

Dear Flo

Thank you for your postings on the forum and for all the information about your conditions and medication. I see that others have responded to your posting with information about Naproxen. We are not medically trained here on the helpline so you would need to speak to your rheumatology team or your GP to check about medication interactions. There is more information on non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on our website. You can access this on the link https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory-drugs-nsaids/
    I hope this response has been helpful. If you would like to speak to us here on the helpline about arthritis then you are very welcome to call us here on the helpline. You can call us on 0800 5200 520 (Monday – Friday, 9am – 8pm).
    Best Wishes
    Dawn