The 'Triumphs' thread

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's never really gone away, Slosh, I halved my daily dose of Citalopram from 20 to 10 mgs some time ago because I felt able to and maybe it's not quite enough now for me to keep on top of things: rather than increasing again I am trying other ways to improve my mental health.

This afternoon I tackled a windowsill in our bedroom and improved it, now it's dust-free for at least twelve hours and Cedric, my pottery camel wearing blue wellies, is in situ for the first time since I bought him two years ago. He is there in all his snooty glory making me laugh, the best medicine one can have. Tomorrow I will broach the top of the chest of drawers and stuff the summer coverlet into one of the suitcases to get it out of sight. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    One of my meds serves a dual purpose of helping with my neuropathic pain and as a anti-depressant. I find my mood can vary greatly and that the weather also affects me. I use things like mindfulness to help me manage it and normally manage to keep it in it's place, it is a bit of a tightrope though and I know how easy it is to loose my balance. Hope you manage to put yours in it's place, or that your strategies help you manage it. It sounds as though your camel is a great tonic.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    WOW!!! It's such a pick-me-up to read all your posts. Optimism is definitely 'catching' and makes me so glad that this thread continues through thick and thin.

Crinkly1
  • dreamdaisy
    We'll do our best to inspire, Crinkly, just like you.

Chest of drawers ignored in favour of the side of the wardrobe ( a wonderful 'squirrel corner' as my stashes are known). All boxes removed and vacuumed, then the contents of one box swapped for stuff from the sitting room: my winter Kivi tea light holders are now in situ, all twenty three washed, dried and each loaded with a tea light and my summer ones (all clear glass) put away for the winter. Tonight we are entertaining and, as it's lovely and crisp I want them all twinkling away like little jewels, splashes of colour all along the white window sill. I shall also light the thirty five clear cut glass holders which adorn the hearth and mantelpiece. I use a lot of tea lights, they bring me immense pleasure, they calm me too. The mantle piece tea lights are a little unusual in that their plastic cups are coloured, when they are burning they look lovely. The ones on the hearth and in the Kivi are in clear plastic holders, they give a much nicer light than the ones in aluminium (the holders are recyclable too).

I have also stuffed thirty sweet peppardew peppers with cream cheese, part of the pre-dinner nibbles. They're super-messy! :lol: All I have left to do is set the table, prepare the dips and nibbles and later the cheese and chocolate, he is doing the starter, main and dessert.

My mood is not improving as much as I would like but I know why - I'm working on it. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm quite me pleased with myself. I haven't achieved anything like you wonderful people but I've had a day where I could have easily nodded off in front of the England v NZ RL match and I didn't. I finally tackled several little bitty jobs which never seem to add up to much but still reproach you every time you come in sight of them.

So the tab is now reattached to my fleece so that it will hang up again and not take up so much room it knocks everything else down. The surfaces that have been crying out for a decent damp dust rather than a flicker of the duster have all been damp dusted, my shoes have been polished and the friends now in Canada, who wrote me a lovely long newsy proper letter enclosed in a beautiful card when I was in hospital have finally had their reply. I've also brewed up and washed up several times.

Time for another brew and a feet up, I think :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Looks as though you have both had days full of triumphs.
    DD I like the sound of all your tea lights, it must look beautiful when they are all lit.
    I had a viewing by a removals firm, I've done a load of washing and will be putting it on my airer shortly, and I've folded four birds and sixteen roses from 1inch squares of paper (old copy of Pride and Prejudice) to build up stocks ahead of Christmas, along with eight silver roses from slightly larger pieces.

Washing up later.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    What did you make of the removal people and what did they make of the prospect of moving you? I always put my washing on airers, it saves trekking in and out of door with armsful of stuff and also avoids it getting covered in pollen.

I've shot far too many bolts, all I want to do now is go to bed! :lol: Well done one and all, I am sure we have all triumphed in our various ways. DD
  • Slosh
    He was very polite and helpful and one thing I liked was that have their own staff so no agency/zero hours contracts. Bonus too that they could do it all, including the packing on the same day. I won't even have to pack my clothes!
    Julian of Norwich
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    Lovely to read about so many great achievements and people getting the best possible out of life.

I’m sitting in bed, drinking coffee, with an 8 week old grandson asleep on my lap - having been trusted to look after him while his parents were at a wedding. It’s sheer joy!
    And the wee angel managed nearly 7 hours sleep!

The RA has been responding so well to Benepali that my dose of Metoject has been reduced by 5 mg.

Life is good, at the moment, so I’m making hay while the sun shines.

Hoping the sun shines for you all.
  • Slosh
    What a lovely picture, I'm so glad you are able to enjoy your grandson, and welcome to the Granny club!
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    I walked to physio :D:D:D

I've always walked to physio but not with my current rickety THR. The wheelchair was tempting but I hate rocking up anywhere by wheelchair so it stayed in the car boot.

Our hospital seems to go by the maxim that if you can actually make it as far as physio you probably don't need it :roll: It's a real trek. But I did it, got more exercises, and got back again all under my own steam. I'm happy :D
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Yesterday started off as a "can't be bothered" day, I was due to meet up with a friend in the afternoon for tea and cake and rather than make an excuse, or just turn up in my messing about at home clothes, I made the effort, put on my new trousers and blouse (25% off offer) and my favourite pewter leather biker style jacket which always makes me feel good. It worked, I had a lovely time and my friend was grateful for the chance to off load some stuff she was worried about to me.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    In my experience the harder the effort the greater the reward. Well done with all that walking, Sticky, and Slosh your jacket sounds lovely, pewter is a gorgeous colour!

I am finally recovered after Saturday, ye gods it's taken time. :roll: DD
  • Slosh
    Thanks DD, it's my magic jacket as it gives me so much confidence when I wear it. Are you planning what your next exploit is going to be?
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Currently just living is the exploit! OA a nightmare thanks to the weather plus pulled muscles in my back is not a happy combination. I'm employing the help of Voltarol and experiencing the joy of ever-so-slightly-you-can-barely-notice-it improved movement. :lol:

I hope things are going better for everyone else, if not don't worry: it will pass because all things do. DD
  • Slosh
    So the voltarol is not turning you into a tennis player as in the ads? Still hardly at all improvment is better than no effect at all I suppose.
    I am today proudly wearing a jumper for the first time in about 4 years!
    I avoid them as I have great difficulty (and a lot of pain) trying to take clothes off over my head if I need to raise my arms to pull them off.
    Yesterday I went shopping with my daughter to primark, and she spotted an oversize jumper with wide armholes so I can pull my arms back though those and then just lift it over my head.
    RESULT!
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Slosh, when jumpers are unavaoidable I use a long-handled shoe horn to get them on. Basically, pile the up over one end then throw it over my head. But, for everyday winter use, it's base layers (very soft and bendy) and gilets for me. So much easier.
    Steven Wright
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Despite my resolution to post here each month I was afraid I might not find anything to brag about at the end of November as another month of continuous sciatica ground to its end, combined with the discomfort of waiting for a reverse shoulder replacement op. (Due early next year, flu outbreaks permitting.)

In utter desperation I decided to consult a Chiropractor about the sciatica. (I've been treated for back issues by this therapy with good results in the past but know it isn't for everyone and would not be recommended by many of you so please don't take this as advice.) Result - a very painful first two days then steady improvement and today (day 5) I've managed to do ironing and vacuuming without setting off the agonising pain. Bliss!!!

Also just heard that I've passed the first two years of a part-time MA degree course and that my dissertation proposal has been accepted - approx. 15,000 words - with deadline August 2019. I'll be 73 if I graduate then and just did a PE teacher training certificate back in the dark ages so never imagined I'd ever be pursuing an academic journey. It's not easy working through discomfort but without 30 years of OA's physical restrictions I could well have missed out on this absorbing challenge!

Crinkly1
  • Slosh
    Wow! You are an ambassador for lifelong learning, congratulations on your achievement. Pleased as well that the chiropractice worked for you.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Crinkly, that is terrific! I am pleased that the chiropractor was able to help with your sciatica - any relief is sweet relief, yes? As for the studies many congratulations are due, it takes discipline of work at something like that and for so long: Mr DD is considering embarking on a history degree. When can we start calling you Dr. Crinkly?

I have been tottering on as usual but the past few days have been devoted to Operation Christmas Tree and generally getting the house twinkly and sparkly. As this is something I really love doing the aches and pains fade into the background until they don't. :wink: I have to say though that all my walking etc. has really improved my stamina for such nonsense. :D DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Congratulations on your MA success Crinkly, and for seeing the negative of OA as a positive in achieving it.
    I'm glad the chiro helped - sometimes the manipulative therapies can be very effective at freeing up knots and enabling things to work better, but as you say not for everyone. I miss my osteopath now that OA has joined the deteriorating scoliosis in my back, as her patient unravelling of knotted back muscles(she didn't do the clunk click osteo on me) made everything so much easier and more comfortable.
  • BettyMac
    I’m feeling triumphant - and just a tad embarrassed.

We’ve been in this house for eighteen years and I’ve just cleaned the bannisters properly for the third time. Ever!

I haven’t been able to take methotrexate or Benepali since the first week in December - because of food poisoning, two successive colds (courtesy of the grandchildren) and a cold sore. It was a very merry Christmas!

My hands and feet are beginning to “go” - so I thought I’d get some cleaning in before it becomes impossible.

I have a phone call to the Rheumy nurse pending so she can tell me when to restart the meds as I’m concerned there may be a chest infection about to rear its ugly head.

And, yes, I will be using hand gel a lot more frequently in the future - though I refuse to avoid contact with the wee ones, even if they are total virus vectors!

ps - whoever designed these bannisters was not someone who ever had to clean them! Grr.
  • stickywicket
    :o That's a double triumph. (i)You did it and (ii) You did it non-meds assisted :lol: Brilliant. All those on here with banisters will know where to come for help now :wink:

I confess, there's a bit of me (probably the slut bit) which says, if you can manage without for eighteen years, why bother now? But I bet they look lovely.

You're absolutely right that those who designed them would never have to clean and polish them. I think that's true of so many things. Do you remember when it first became OK for a man to push a pushchair. How long after that was it that the drinks holder became an integral part of the design :cry:

I do hope you can get back on the meds soon. I guess there is just a lot of germ exchanging at Christmas.
    Steven Wright
  • BettyMac
    Thanks, Sticky.

Now - when I say I cleaned the bannisters, I mean I took a damp cloth to them.
    Polish?
    Probably not in this life :D

My major cleaning job yesterday was the filthy, disgusting oven - not that I had to do much, bar looking out the manual and then turning the knob to warp factor 10 to burn off all the mess.
    I'd been putting that job off for about eight years.

I really am a slattern at heart - and must be sickening for something to be doing all this cleaning. It's really most unlike me.
    😂
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I've put on half a stone over the winter so I just wanted to get out and do something so I cycled 5 miles (on the fkat) and got all hot and sweaty, even in the cold air. Wonderful!