Its a go

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 9. Nov 2018, 05:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Dr agreed that hubby needs a total hip replacement ,he showed us the X-rays the right hip is bone on bone the left hip looks ok, we had to explain about the stroke he had and why I answer some of the questions which he understood and also noted that he had bypass surgery on his legs, the Dr didn't hesitate in saying it needs doing and it should be in 2-3 months unless we have a bad winter and things get delayed, fingers crossed for a mild winter.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Excellent.

Just one thing, mig. You say the doc noticed Mr Mig had had bypass surgery. At the pre-op interview make sure they know everything that could possibly be relevant. Don't leave it up to them to notice things. Or not :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Poor Mr Mig - that may well be very tough for him but tougher for you, my lovely. As Sticky said, don't assume and presume that whoever is dealing with you two in the future knows all there is to know, remind / tell everyone everything everytime, so so dull but necessary. Hugs to you both. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I shall do as you both advise, before we left the hospital we had our pre pre operation check and all was noted down but I will continue telling people ,we had a pack of pamphlets what to do before and after your op in there is a excersise dvd which made him sweat just watching it ,we are just waiting for a call of which date we get to go to excersise class with other people who could be having their ops about the same time,I must say I am surprised how much planning is envoled.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    A joint replacement is not a trivial operation; the fitter and stronger one can be before truly improves the chances of a better outcome. It's more to do with muscle power, improving their strength and flexibility is key. I'm like Mr Mig, watching others exercise produces the same outcome in me (I look as though I've done it when I haven't, wear the right togs and you can fool everyone) but I certainly sweat less than I used to when I exercise now. I think it's because I am getting fitter :shock: .

You know me, Mig, I'm a straight talker (and not a medic) - I wonder if they need to exercise a little more caution with your husband due to the effects of the stroke (and the fact that his was massive) - far better this approach than just doing it there-and-then and subjecting his entire body to gawd-knows-what stress. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    She's right, you know. (She usually is, isn't she :wink: ) As a veteran of TKRs and THRs, the exercises make so much difference both before and after. If his muscles are strong the chances of dislocation post-op are so much lower. And, if he gets into the 'dreaded' :lol: habit beforehand it'll be well established for later.

I'm suure as long as you ensure the medics have all the data you can think of he'll be fine. They must operate on loads of post-stroke patients but, as an example of why it's so important to give them all the info - a friend had an op and, because her asthma was so mild, forgot to mention it. As a result of this she had a very mild stroke while under the anaesthetic. She made a full, quick recovery but, if they'd known about the asthma, they'd have used a different anaesthetic.

Get note-taking :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright