Brexit v10.2.5

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 19. Nov 2018, 12:00 in Community Chit-chat archive
Yes, even I am fed up with Brexit, politicians and the whole bloomin mess created by Parliament, I can't even vote out the members of Parliament, who else is willing to stand up for us? Labour are keeping their heads down and discent is in the air amongst them as much as the other parties.

It seems the cabinet ministers would rather keep their extra pay and official cars than do whats right for democracy.

I pity the fishermen who thought they might get out from the the EU Fisheries Policy and be free to land fish from our own waters. Keeping the foreign boats out woukd have exploded our own fleet and created a huge industry, instead Theresa May has used the waters as a bargaining chip.

Oh woe is GB. Rant over, for now.

Comments

• bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am equally as baffled by the whole brexit melee Airwave.

Cabinet ministers quitting this morning, DUP standing firm and refusing to back the vote, Labour, well, least said the better.

the ££ has dropped through the floor, which I guessed would happen, as the stock market has the collywobbles.

I don't know where it will all end up. But I can imagine that the money already spent, on brexit, would build and staff umpteen more hospitals, schools and drs surgeries.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I am worried that if there is a general election called and/or Theresa May resigns we could end up with Jacob Rees Mogg or Boris as leader of the Tories.
    I must admit to being in favour of a peoples vote on any deal as I think there is lot more understanding of the costs of leaving the EU now.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's a total mess but I don't see how it could have been otherwise. It was an utterly stupid decision to have a referendum in the first place. Only an overwhelming victory for one side or the other would have resulted in people accepting the decision. And I think the same would apply to another referendum now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The original vote was flawed because the question required a straight yes or no answer, there was no mention of deals when it was obvious one would be needed. The questions could have been: vote to stay, vote to leave without a deal, vote to leave with a deal.

A referendum was held and the majority vote, albeit close, was one to leave. There is no need for another because the people spoke. Those who wanted to stay were outnumbered so they lost, thems is the rules (losers never like the rules). TM has not made a good fist of matters but given the choice between her and Comrade Corbyn (who remains firmly wedded to the principles that ensure some are more equal than others) she has to be a safer pair of hands. The pre-vote prominent Brexiteers are a disgraceful bunch, they scarpered when the going got too tough when in fact the toughness had barely begun. She's lumbered with negotiating something she, personally, did not want: politics is not for the faint-hearted, DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I voted leave, but never for one moment did I think they would go along with our vote.. :x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    So why did you vote leave then?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    I voted leave to regain sovereinty, I lost relatives in WW1, my father lived with ptsd up to 90 years old after active service in WW2 and our politicians gave away decision making which othrrs fought to keep.

Our politicians haven't had to run a country for 40 years, the EU has been doing that for them, now given the chance they can't!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Slosh wrote:

I voted leave to leave ...but I am 98% sure the government have there own agenda and will eventually go for a second referendum.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Why a second referendum, they didn't take any notice of our answer the first time!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Airwave! wrote:
    Why a second referendum, they didn't take any notice of our answer the first time!

So what's happening at the end of March 2019 then?
    There are all sorts of reasons for the call for a second referendum, most of which in my view don't reflect well on those demanding it. I voted remain but I happen to think a second referendum would be as bad as the first in terms of the effect on the country and its people, thanks to the totally inept administration(of all colours) in Westminster(as you say they haven't had to govern for real for decades,through choice as much as anything in my view). Whatever the result it would still be divisive - the only thing that might change is that a different part of the voting public gets to feel aggrieved - and do nothing to fix what is going wrong, much(most) of which has/had little to do with the EU.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    barbara12 wrote:
    Slosh wrote:

I voted leave to leave ...but I am 98% sure the government have there own agenda and will eventually go for a second referendum.. :roll:

I doubt it, Barbara. I think another referendum would be the last thing the government wants right now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I voted because I regard the franchise as a privilege. Sometimes I get the result I voted for, some times I don't but that is how democracy works. I was very surprised when the Leave campaign won, not at all surprised when the Remainers started Remoaning. I wish I could recall what happened when we voted to join or not, I was young so unable to vote and my parents were not overly-political. I know they voted not to join though! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben