Moving house...things are starting to move

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 4. Dec 2018, 14:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, my new buyer has instructed a solicitor who has been in touch with mine and hopefully a draft contract will be shared soon. With my purchase my solicitor has got a draft contract and is just double checking and clarifying some things.
I feel so much better! My daughter commented this week that I was finally back to myself and I agree. All the usual aches and pains, if anything worse as I finally felt like doing stuff, but then that's my normal!
I've had some removal quotes - all local of various sizes with one - three branches.
1 - all done over the phone/on-line with the help of some videos from me because they "don't do visits", most expensive. £1,410
2 - Which Trusted Trader, bit of sales banter, pack and move me all on one day, no name of foreman/main contact given. £1,128 directed me to check out their on-line reviews.
3- Choice of doing everything on one day or packing the day before the move, happy to get stuff out of my loft. Gave me a name of the foreman, cheapest £996
4- One branch, noted my special pieces of furniture (without me saying anything), suggested packing the day before the move as that would be easier for me. Loft no problem. £1,230 gave me a list of past clients I could email to get their reviews.

And on the fun side I've bought a couple of pieces for my "forever home" as my daughter is calling it.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yep, pack the day before gets my vote! Book into a hotel in your new location and let the estate agents sort the keys out, might even get lunch with the rellies as well?

Good luck.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'd say it's between numbers 3 and 4 - which people gave you the most secure feeling? You are trusting your goods and chattels (whatever they are, those things that lurk in the depths of the understairs cupboard perhaps?) to them so you need to feel that your things are safe.

These are exciting times, Slosh! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Thanks both, I hadn't thought about going up myself the day before but much as I like the idea it may not be feasible, one reason is that my daughter and husband are coming too and they won't want the children to have too much time off school (her Dad is going to do the honours) and the other reason is my two budgies! I will be taking them up myself in a travel cage, but can't leave them outside in the car overnight and I don't think the hotel would be too keen on them.

My gut feeling is between 3 & 4 too.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    I had a thought - and if you have already covered this then please forgive me. Have any of the firms mentioned that they have insurance? DD
  • Slosh
    Don't worry DD, they all told me without my asking that they have insurance. I would have asked anyway.
    Only one was interested enough to look in kitchen cupboards, my wardrobes etc. and also talk about how how some items would be packed. He was also the one who also recognised the value of a couple of my pieces of furniture and marked them down as such.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    That one would be my choice then, sometimes cutting costs is immaterial but on other occasions you get what you pay for. DD
  • Slosh
    Your're so right (as usual), I also distrust the other quote as it's so much lower than the others and does make me wonder why.
    Busy today with what is hopefully my final stage of decluttering, thank goodness for charities that collect and freecycle.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Believe you mentioned I am not always right but I was on our move. Mr DD opted for one of the cheaper operators: I paid £75 for a load of boxes which they delivered then they pulled out four days before the move. The Husband was surprised and annoyed, I wasn't; their rep was shabby and slovenly which to my way of thinking indicated that the business was likely to be the same. Due to the short notice we had to go to the most expensive who were able to fit us in and, of course, at extra cost to the quote. They had the size of business that meant two full-size (and fully-logoed) vans were available and extra manpower could be drafted in. More often than not trying to save money results in more expenditure. DD
  • Slosh
    As they say, pay peanuts get monkeys!
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I'd go for the one who instinctively made you feel most comfortable.

However, I understand that if you have anything particularly precious (jewellery handed down to you by previous generations etc) it's best to pack those yourself. Also pack at least 3 days worth of clothing in a case, transport your own medication and food for your budgies.

I've always used local firms for property moves before. Not necessarily the cheapest but second time around as we'd used them before it was a no-brainer for myself and my late partner.

I hope that the move goes smoothly.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Thanks GraceB, sorry for the delay in answering but you know how it goes and thanks for your tips. I don't have a lot of valuable, inherited jewellery...not from that kind of family so my three pieces, two antique rings and a near antique (not quite 100 years old) amber necklace can easily travel with me. I am planning to book up a nearby hotel for the night of the move so I have that I don't have to worry about getting too much unpacked on the move day. As for clothes, what's in my chest of drawers will stay in them and the removals company bring wardrobe boxes for the rest! I am going to see my gp the week before the move to stock up on my meds and also to get my list of repeat items updated ready to take with me to my new gp (there is a good practice in the village) and all my meds will come with me.

I have contacted my choice of removals company, no. 4, as I felt he took most interest both in my possessions and in my situation in terms of my health. So now it's just a case of waiting for contracts to be finalised.

More things got rid off this week and I just need to find a charity to come and collect some stuff too and then it's just (!) my studio and supplies to sort through and organise.

No sorting this coming week, time to focus on jewellery making to build up stock plus a busy week with lunch at a friend's Sunday, see my daughter et al Monday, hospital Tuesday, hair Wednesday (think I may put that off so I can have a rest day), then up to Yaxley Thursday/Friday to visit the bungalow again and do some measuring up of windows, cooker space etc. One of my daughter's friends who lives in the area is going to help me with this and has also said she will help on the move day - and bring cake!

Thank you all once again for your support and advice through this.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You're doing very well, Slosh. You make it all sound much easier than it is. I'm pleased you'll be having a - sort of - week off and I hope you enjoy it to the full.

I might have already said this but, just in case - we brought some curtains I was fairly sure I wouldn't want to keep but it was good to have some up in the spare room until I decided at leisure exactly what I wanted there. This was a precaution born of our previous move when we had to go down the High St at 4pm on removal day because I'd miscalulated the living room windows :o

Carry on carrying on :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Good idea SW but one thing that didn't get done in the refurbishment was new curtain tracks! Luckily the bedroom isn't overlooked and I'm not going to be bothered by light mornings at this time of year! Or flitting around in next to nothing!

I've decided on my living room curtains, nearly there for the bedroom. The walls are that standard "magnolia" colour, though it has a fancier name these days so I'm adding colour, which I like, with curtains, soft furnishings and lighting.
    I have discovered I have rather expensive tastes!

One of the first things on my to do list once I'm in will be to get curtain rails and then curtains fitted.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    We have curtains in our bedroom but they are rarely drawn as Mr DD is usually there. When he isn't, however, I close them: sleeping alone on the ground floor when you are not used to it is discombobulating. They are the only curtains we have, all the other windows have blinds primarily to keep in (and in the summer out) the heat. We are double glazed and have windows only on one side of the house so getting light in was - and remains - the priority. Our paint throughout is Dulux Natural Hessian, colour is provided by cushions, rugs, pictures, my team light s and my fairy lights adorning various bits and pieces. It's been great fun putting it all together, we did nothing decoratively for the first year so we could experience the house in all conditions. DD
  • Slosh
    There is a lovely big bay window in the front, and then smaller windows in the bedrooms, but quite a big window in the kitchen. The two bedroom windows and kitchen window all look out onto the garden. I have a few ideas for colours, copper and teal for the front room to go with my vintage wood furniture, and I have fallen for some lovely curtains in John Lewis as well as a rather beautiful designer lamp shade.
    As for the other rooms I am enjoying a bit of online window shopping and putting my ideas together on pinterest. After years of making do with furniture and soft furnishings to buy things new and not have to worry too much about looking for a bargain. The curtains I have currently range from ones I inherited when I moved into this house 16 years ago, to ones I made for the flat my first husband and I lived in 29yrs ago!
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    You don't know what you've started :wink: Chez Daisy new table lamps are being positioned, the ones they have replaced are in the charity box, lampshades are being switched about, new LED bulbs installed. It's lovely having a re-vamp, I'm having great fun all thanks to you, Slosh! If you like putting a home together you're in for a good time once the business of moving is done and dusted. DD
  • Slosh
    Sounds like you are having fun DD. I am looking forward to that, in fact I feel like a bit of a kid if I'm honest. As my daughter's Dad left me the day after we completed on the property I'm in, I was left with paying a two person mortgage on my salary alone and so while I've managed to do that it did limit how much I could spend on furnishings and furniture. I've been here 16 yrs and three rooms still have the curtains up that were here when I bought it, and my front room curtains are ones I made 30 years ago so all in all I feel I deserve nice new things.
    I've just been up again to do some measuring and just as well as the living room bay is 3m long so can't have the curtains I fell in love with and I also realised the ceilings are lower than in my present house too. Luckily I still love it.
    I have bought a couple of things, a bespoke TV stand (I love saying that) and a copper standard lamp and wall lamp for the front (reduced).
    I have a lot of ideas on my pinterest boards and lots of online window shopping but next week I plan a trip to my local shopping mall to get ideas/ask questions.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm having a whale of a time because Operation Christmas Tree is in full swing too :wink: I felt exactly like a child at Christmas when we moved here, curtains were the first purchase, all 90 X 90 and all the same to unify the rooms that needed them. Two years later they all went to the charity shop as they were no longer needed due to vertical blinds and needing black-out ones for the bedroom. I regret the blinds in some ways (Mr DD says we look like an office) but they fulfill a purpose and again unify. I also over-bought with the sitting room furniture, what looked a reasonable size in the showroom turned out to be enormous once in!

You DO deserve new things, and how lovely not to have to consider another's taste. I was excited to buy for the new house but I don't regret waiting for a while before I began.

Right, back to OCT: I am starting early because it is a huge project, the tree itself won't appear until 01 December and won't be finished for at least a fortnight! DD
  • Slosh
    I think my tree will be put up in my new home! It looks like a move in early December now, so I'm now starting to have butterflies about it!
    I don't need a lot of furniture, a sofa bed, kitchen/dining table and chairs, and a new bed for me will probably do me, though I also need new white goods for the kitchen.
    I have sent off for some samples of curtain fabrics as choosing these is a big investment as well as making a big impact on my decor.
    Next on my to do list is to arrange for return of my bath chair and then make a GP appointment to get my repeats updated. On my visit last week I also found the local surgery and pharmacist!
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Good scouting, Slosh :D

Just a heads-up. By 'bath chair' I presume you mean 'bath lift'. (Though I can just picture you in an oldfashioned bathchair with your ear trumpet :wink: )

I'd no problem arranging for the collection of mine but, when I got here, I was told the waiting list was six months. I gasped and asked what people did in the interim and was told, albeit apologetically, that they just have to manage as best they can. I had no wish to honk for six months (Tell 'em you're incontinent: you'll get one quicker :mrgreen: ) so I bought my own. But I did a lot of research first so just ask if you want to go down that route.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    I knew it wasn't the right term but had one of those brain fog moments, at least now I can refer to the right thing when I contact Adult Services later!
    I won't need a replacement as I won't have a bath, only a shower in the wet room. However I have ordered a shower stool so I won't have to wait before I use the shower.
    My daughter has promised that once she's moved I can go to hers when I fancy a bath...and she will help me get out. Brave girl!
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Blimey, Slosh I'm exhausted just reading all what you have to do. :roll:

Please make sure you pace yourself. And don't go lifting or moving anything you shouldn't.

Make sure you put your feet up in the evenings.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Thanks GraceB but the next couple of weeks are going to be busy ones!
    I heard today that my solicitor expects to exchange contracts next week and wants me to choose my completion date.
    I have emailed my removals firm asking for their availability during the first week or two in December and requested packing is done the day before the move.
    Once I hear back I can sort a date.
    I also booked a GP appointment for Wednesday and arranged collection of my last lot of charity bits.
    I also booked one very important date, a visit to see Santa with my grandchildren.
    Tomorrow I will try to manage my anxiety with a list.
    I am currently relaxing, and I promise to take things steady.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    I now have a walk-in shower with a shower stool and it's brilliant. Be prepared to install grab rails if you need them. They put mine exactly where I asked and they're perfect.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Thanks Sticky, I will have to check. There are rails round the toilet which is great.
    Julian of Norwich