Evening All!

Options
YogaJones
YogaJones Member Posts: 18
edited 21. Nov 2018, 02:28 in Say Hello Archive
Hello!

I just wanted to say hello as I'm new here. I'm 31 and newly diagnosed with OA in the right knee, 10 years after surgery to stop recurrent dislocations of the patella.

As I've got many years left with my knees I want to make sure I'm stopping any further degeneration and looking after them the best I can. I've got a couple of questions and it would be wonderful if someone could advise.

1. What exercise/activities do people find help manage symptoms? I currently do yoga and swimming and I'd be interested to see what else I could add to my repertoire.
2. Has anyone used acupuncture to help with their symptoms? I used this post surgery and it worked well but I'm unsure how well it would work with OA.
3. What do people use for pain management? I want to avoid taking pain killers wherever possible and try to manage what I can naturally.

Lovely to meet you all!
Yoga

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome YogaJones to Versus Arthritis forum

Sorry to read about your issues with your osteoarthritis. Unfortunately, you are one of many of our forum users with the problems of osteoarthritis, similarly asking how best to manage joint issues/exercise. I'm almost certain some our forum users will follow on with some good help and advice with the many ways to manage the arthritis, you will find them very helpful and friendly.

I've searched at link that may be of help:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/system/search-results.aspx?keywords=Exercise:

If you require any further help and advice please feel free to call our Helpline number which is at the head of the page.

Enjoy the forum.

John
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, sadly I am too far gone with the disease to advise, my days of it being in only one joint are long gone. :lol:

Low-impact exercise is good as it helps to strengthen the muscles surrounding the joint, enabling them to better support it. Cycling, swimming and walking are the best for that. Diet can have some influence (my OA is aggravated if I eat too many acidic foods) and overdoing things can cause inflammation but at least that is localised and easily dealt with (RICE: rest, ice, compression, elevation). Acupuncture will not stop the progress of the disease and neither will it halt any pain, like all methods of pain relief the gain is slight and temporary.

When not comes to 'herbal' versus 'synthesised' pain relief Dara O'Briain has it right: we took what worked and replicate it under safe conditions, the rest is turned into soup. Pain is part-and-parcel of the condition, in your situation I doubt it is much of an issue at the moment and I hope that long remains the case but if you are male then it will be more of an issue as males have more pain receptors then females. For some their OA remains in one joint, any form of the disease is progressive and degenerative but some get away with very little: I hope you are one of the more fortunate. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hello YogaJones

Can I add an extra link to the one John gave you?

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/treatments-aids-and-equipment

This one includes 2 sections which might help one is Complimentary therapies and the other Electronic pain relief.

Doing yoga and swimming is really positive you clearly want to do as much as possible to help yourself.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too.

It's good that you're planning ahead as, with OA, there's probably more that we can do for ourselves than the docs can do for us. Yoga and swimming are definitely good as are cycling, a healthy , Mediterranean-type diet, a healthy weight and no smoking.

I'm much further down the arthritic road than you. I was diagnosed with RA at 15 and, due to that, OA set in later. But, fifty odd years on, I'm still doing what I call OK. In my time I've done more walking than I can manage now and horse riding, which is very good for core muscle strength. Now I'm more reliant on exercises rather than exercise but, in the following link, you'll find both. https://tinyurl.com/yd73jjvv .

I did try acupuncture a couple of times way back in the day but I found it of very limited help.

As for pain relief - exercises, distraction, a knee support (use for only a short time and maybe best to ask your GP or physio first given your past kneecap problems). Like DD, I keep well away from herbal products or supplements. The more they claim the less likely they are to do anything in my sceptical book :wink: Never underestimate the power of the humble paracetamol. Used correctly, it's a very safe drug. There are also anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS) but, if used regularly, you should also be prescribed a stomach-protecting drug to go with them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hello there and welcome from me too :)

I use wheatbags (warm in microwave) as pain relief (You can get heat patches from most supermarkets I think curaheat do a knee one).

I have also used a tens machine in the past and ice in a teatowel helps sometimes too.

Erm…. I walk every day as much as possible...ok I think that's my entire arsenal of tips ;)

Take care

Toni xx
  • YogaJones
    YogaJones Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice! There are so many useful tips here!

I'll definitely be swerving alternative oral medications n. I want to avoid anything that needs ingesting as much as possible.

Toni thank you especially for the heat idea, as silly as it sounds it sometimes feels like it needs a warm hug so I'll definitely try this.

Thank you once again you wonderful people!

Yoga x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    You're very welcome Yoga! :D

Toni xx