Best type of bed for RA.

Becky88
Becky88 Member Posts: 96
edited 26. Nov 2018, 10:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
I was just wondering if anybody has any advice regarding the best type of bed for RA sufferers. I have been looking at the memory foam mattresses but am really unsure if they are the best way forward.

I know that everyone has their own individual preferences but any advice would be much appreciated re support and pain.

Many thanks.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You're absolutely right, we cannot help but this is what we did.

When we bought our new bed we went to Join Lewis and spent over two hours lying, sitting and reading and chatting things over with the very helpful and knowledgeable assistant. We finally opted for two single mattresses and bases, his is a medium, mine a firm. We can zip them together if needed, separate them when he's ill. Being single mattresses they are easier to turn. They cost around £800 each.

Memory foam is hot but why not consider trying one on one of those 100 night deals? I dunno much about them but surely it's worth researching. I also bought a Tempur firm pillow which I adore but see that Eve do a height-adjustable memory pillow which will be my next buy.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    This is a topic that comes up fairly regularly but, one glance at any of the threads will tell you that we're all different.

I bought a memory foam mattress when they first came on the scene. I found it very comfy but very hot and it was hard to turn over on it. Later we replaced it with a bed that was roughly 3/4 sprung with 1/4 memory foam. I loved it so much that, when we replaced it, we bought exactly the same again.

But not everyone likes memory foam. The only way you can tell what is right for you is to lie down on several in the showroom and stay there for some time. Yes, you'll feel a total prawn but that doesn't matter as long as you get the bed that's right for you. Then, as DD suggests, get it on approval. Happy hunting :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    for me a water bed all night long
    no hot spots
    warm in winter so no cold spots
    no pressure points
    different floatations from just water to 98 floatation free
    great for different size partners
    different for both sides of the bed
    amazing and love mine for the last 15 years plus