Psoriatic arthritis at 27!

Options
Lor27dixie1
Lor27dixie1 Member Posts: 2
edited 29. Nov 2018, 07:16 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone,
Im only 4 weeks into starting my medication, and Im 2 days in full medication.
It’s been a long 6 months getting diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis, it’s in 3 of my fingers and in my toes and feet so struggling at the minute to walk and work, I’ve gone part time until my medication hopefully starts to work properly. Looking for any tips or suggestions or any more information will be great.
Thank you xx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Lor27dixie1 and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis who I know will make you very welcome and help in any way they can.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of Psoriatic arthritis at 27, but am glad to hear you have started on some medication to help. I am guessing this is a disease modifying anti rheumatic drug, (or DMARD), such as Methotrexate, (MTX). I hope you have understanding employers who are able to let you reduce your hours while you start them?

There are quite a few members on here who have the same type of arthritis as you, although many of your symptoms will be very similar to those of other types, so you will get lots of tips and support.

In the meantime here is some information about Psoriatic Arthritis, (or PsA), which might help:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/297-psoriatic-arthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/psoriatic-arthritis/

I do hope you manage to get things under control soon and look forward to seeing you posting.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I began an anti-inflammatory arthritis aged 37 back in 1997. I was born with eczema and went on to develop asthma so no great surprise there. If wasn't until 2006, when my skin obliged with a bout of psoriasis, that the medical penny dropped and PsA became my official label. It made no difference to anything.

Unluckily for me mine did not begin as it should, the fingers and toes are the 'correct' areas but mine chose my left knee. I was also unfortunate in that my then GP knew nothing about auto-immune inflammatory conditions and kept telling me it would go away. Up until then my experience with GPs had always been good so I foolishly believed her. Things have improved tremendously, in this day and age GPs are better informed. A friend of mine was diagnosed with PsA within six months of trouble beginning and he is wonderfully controlled on just a few tablets every day - he is still running, cycling 100 miles at a time, working full time: his hands are affected but nothing else. He's been like this for over ten years, proof that the sooner one starts the meds the better the outcome can be.

I take injected methotrexate and humira, disease activity is very well controlled but it was all too little to late so I have osteoarthritis too: some joints have one, some the other and others both. Never mind, it is what it is. As I often say to my husband it's a case of mind over matter: I mind but that doesn't matter. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too.

You don't say what medication you are taking – presumably methotrexate or sulfasalazine. They are the usual starting meds. I hope it will kick in soon for you though it can take up to 12 weeks.

I'm not sure what sort of info or tips you'd like but the obvious ones are to wear supportive shoes and to rest when you can rather than soldiering on. Easier said than done, I know :wink: If you've any specific questions just ask away on the Living With Arthritis forum.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright