Hello! New to versus arthritis :)

Options
Lucyanna
Lucyanna Member Posts: 2
edited 29. Nov 2018, 07:38 in Say Hello Archive
Hello! I am 22 years old and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis two years ago after a knee operation to repair torn cartilage led to the discovery of excessive fluids in my knee joints and subsequently many knee drains later led to the conclusion at 20 years old I suffered from rheumatoid arthritis. The diagnosis turned my world upside down (being a dancer and so young) however, with the help of my amazing rheumatologist I am striving to live a life not defined by my diagnosis.

Seeing the versus arthritis advert on the tv a couple of weeks ago was the first time I had heard of the charity and since then I haven’t been able to stop thinking about the amazing campaign they have run and how grateful I am that a charity is raising awareness to fight the common misconception that arthritis is an old persons disease and that all disabilities are visible. Thank you so much for fighting our corner.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lucyanna
    Welcome to the forum, so glad you have found us. The forums are full of lovely understanding and encouraging people who will understand what you are going through, thank you for your comments.
    All the best on the forums Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hi Lucyanna and welcome from me too. It must have been quite devastating to get your diagnosis when you were / are a dancer. I was diagnosed (way back) at 15. I soon gave up playing the piano (Too many wrong notes :roll: ) but I've always found something interesting to take up to replace anything I've had to let go of.

Good to have you on board. Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat are the most popular forums. I hope to see you around :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tanne
    Tanne Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Lucyanna
    I fully understand just how you must be feeling for I too was diagnosed at 14 and had to give up my dancing and gymnastic dream. The British Olympic association had just vetted me in the August and I was diagnosed with scoliosis and DDD (degenerative disk disease) in September and so my life, just as your own, was well and truly up in the air. I'm now 44 and took a different life path that involved working with computers, something that was a hoby in my younger years. I'm sure once you wrap you're head around the situation you too will go on to have a successful life. I wish you well and hope you're okay.
    Tanne x