Hello

Options
Weej01
Weej01 Member Posts: 5
edited 2. Dec 2018, 09:28 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all

I have posted already in another feed but thought I would introduce myself properly. I have just been diagnosed with PsA, I am very lucky as I think my diagnoses process has been quite short and sweet. It all started wth a bang, I had started my running training again and my back went and then a week later I felt like I had the starting of the flu, achy all over, then I developed a lump under my foot, painful finger and it has progressed to all my joints really. I work in a small hospital and I discussed my symptoms with my GP and one of my consultants that I work with who discussed me with rheumatology. I saw rheumatology 3 months after my symptoms started and he diagnosed me straight away after taking my history and ultrasound scans of my joints.
I did however think the doctor was going to tell me there was nothing wrong with me and I needed to man up!
However I have to start methotrexate and he gave me a steroid injection which as at least lifted my ‘flu’ feeling.
My main concern which is a bit personal is I haven’t started a family yet and was thinking about it in the next 12 months, as I can’t get pregnant whilst on methotrexate I am a bit concerned as to how long I will need to be on it for. I am 38 and only met my partner last year. The consultant said after 6 months I could potentially be changed onto something else where I can try for a baby. I just wondered if anyone else had any experience or thoughts on this.
I do hope the methotrexate helps as I have really felt pretty unwell with and constant pain. I used to be the one running around everywhere at work, but now confined to my office most of the time just to get through the day.

Thanks

Comments

• johnnyk32uk
    johnnyk32uk Member Posts: 41
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there,

I came off Methotrexate to try for a child and I was told I had to be off this for 6 months before we should start trying. It didn't work out for us and I started the meds again.

I think they have changed this to 3 months after you stop but just check with your GP or consultant first. Maybe ask if there is something else you can try first that can doesn't affect you trying for a family like Methotrexate does?

It did help me pain wise and if you do start I hope it does for you as well. I also hope everything goes well for you starting a family :)

Cheers,
    John
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello! I know I have replied to you elsewhere but I cannot recall what I said and won't say much now. I began PsA back in 1997, it was accurately diagnosed in 2006, then OA was diagnosed in 2011 and fibromyalgia after that. Wot larks Pip!

I cannot help on the child front because I am deliberately childless. I was born with severe eczema and developed asthma aged seven. By the time I was sixteen the reasons why my life was being ruined by auto-immune junk was becoming clear: my mother's side of the family contributed eczema and asthma, my father's psoriasis. I have relatives on both sides who are lightly affected by such nonsense but I'm the one who has taken it to extremes. :wink: My parents missed the genetic bullets they enthusiastically fired into me and I decided that I could not, in all conscience, play Russian Roulette with the health of further generations. Admittedly things are much better now with the advent of steroid ointments, inhalers and the drugs for arthritis but I find that very cold comfort. I do not regret my decision, I never have and I never will. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello again.

It's true we can't take meth when pregnant or even trying for a baby. These days (as opposed to the Dark Ages when I had my two) prednisolone is allowed in pregnancy, though. It's a steroid which is the good / bad news. Most of us have mixed feelings about them.

It's good that you're thinking and planning ahead. Sometimes – only sometimes – a first pregnancy can result in freedom from arthritis for the duration. It did with me. However, afterwards was a nightmare both times. In fact, many women start with an autoimmune arthritis after giving birth. I'm not trying to put you off. After all, I did it twice :lol: But it is worth factoring in how you'll cope with arthritis plus a tiny, screaming human who will make no allowances for it at all.

My 'tiny humans' are now 6'3” 40 somethings with their own kids and I don't regret having them for one moment but they are hard graft :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright