Triple Arthrodesis

prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 30. Nov 2018, 16:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Prefabkid is back!
Firstly it's nice to see a few familiar names - mig,GraceB,sticky,nearly bionic and of course Dream Daisy to name a few!I see from my 'profile' I joined 8 years ago today. :o
I had my new ankle 7 years ago and my hip 2 years ago,posted about both!
Have been suffering pain in my left foot (same side as my new ankle) :( So fearing the worse got,via my GP,a referral to see my surgeon.X rays showed the replacement ankle joint was ok but had arthritis in other foot bones and would require a triple arthrodesis.One blessing was the surgeon who did my ankle would be doing this operation,if I go ahead and he is one of the best.
My question is - is there anyone out there who has gone through the same or knows of anyone??
Regards
Ron
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome back! I am so sad to see you here again though, as soon as I saw your name I thought 'summat's up'. Yup, I haven't gone away - posting is one of the joys of not being fixable. :lol: I cannot help with your situation but I hope that someone can. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • prefabkid47
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Welcome back! I am so sad to see you here again though, as soon as I saw your name I thought 'summat's up'. Yup, I haven't gone away - posting is one of the joys of not being fixable. :lol: I cannot help with your situation but I hope that someone can. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Hi DD
    Lovely to hear the sound of your posting once more,one of life's pleasures.I see you and sticky are still both in good form humour wise.
    I guessed when you saw my posting,you thought it would be one of two subjects,either 'summats up' or have you tried this new beer.
    Have you heard i've gone teetotal but then I've heard you can trust politicians............draw your own conclusions!
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Ron's back! Hello :D

I can't help at all except to say that, if you were happy with previous ops and have the chance of the same surgeon, I'd go for it.

(If you've gone TT can I have yours :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi Ron , I have had Triple Arthrodesis in both ankles , need main joint fused in both as well sometime

6 weeks in plaster non weight bearing & airboot for 2 weeks
    I would recommend having it done , just question about how it will affect your replacement joint
  • prefabkid47
    Ron's back! Hello :D

I can't help at all except to say that, if you were happy with previous ops and have the chance of the same surgeon, I'd go for it.

(If you've gone TT can I have yours :wink: )

Hi sticky
    Many thanks for replying.
    My surgeon has an excellent reputation (and 'enjoys doing operations' (his words!)).Will more than likely go ahead.
    As to my going TT and your request to have mine as I said earlier,you haven't lost your sense of humour!!...... :lol:
    Ron
  • prefabkid47
    trepolpen wrote:
    hi Ron , I have had Triple Arthrodesis in both ankles , need main joint fused in both as well sometime

6 weeks in plaster non weight bearing & airboot for 2 weeks
    I would recommend having it done , just question about how it will affect your replacement joint
    Hi trepolpen
    Thank you replying to my post.Hope both TA's were successful.
    I had ankle replacement instead of fusion,thought to be more appropriate to my circumstances.If memory serves me right I had a 'back slab' for 2 weeks,cast for 4 weeks and a boot for 2 more.After 7 years all seems still ok.
    In answer to your question,my surgeon seemed not to think that the ankle would be compromised by a triple arthrodesis.He has done this a number of times.
    He said I would be in a cast for 12 weeks (including 2 weeks in a 'back slab').The final 6 weeks weightbearing.
    Will keep the forum updated.
    Regards
    Ron