New forum site

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 4. Dec 2018, 11:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi, Is ghis the new site that was talked about so we with fiddly fingers can use it easily? I' fed up of pressing the wrong buttons. Can't the buttons and choices be spread out more?

Comments

• Airwave!
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    And K'm nit correcting my spelljng anymore, guve usca site we can use easilt
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Airwave! wrote:
    And K'm nit correcting my spelljng anymore, guve usca site we can use easilt
    Isn't that more a keyboard problem rather than the site itself?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think the only change to the forum so far is colours. As for the spelling I think that's to do with the operator, not the system. I have awful problems with my keyboard, I type the word I want, it puts the one it deems necessary. Correcting the gibberish - and forever selecting the right word - is a right pain in you-know-where. My windows laptop died a death and I am using a Lenovo yoga book which is android. And rubbish. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    well, the good news is we do want a new site for the forum which we hope you will all enjoy. We will be sending out some surveys to get your ideas on what you want and only then will we plan changes. We will involve you as much as we can and we are all very excited. I promise to give you more news as soon as I have it
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • Airwave!
    Yes of course the letters are a keyboard problem and the problem of trying to use a tablet and dab at the screen with fingertips is excerbated by the closeness of all the surrounding icons and controls. Some days I have to use a knuckle to type, not easy and by the time you've done that its easier not to bither.

Try changing a colour or pressing on a title without getting it wrong. My wondefful fingers just can't manage these days. There is a whole screen to use and for a site such as this not to enable its users..........

t111055
  • daffy2
    Airwave I believe it should be possible for you to change settings on your device to make it more suitable for what you want, such as larger keyboard or screen layout. Some years ago when I had to use a notebook type device as my PC had died I too had problems with too much of the screen taken up with borders and other unnecessary stuff(the keyboard was a 'real' one not a screen one so that wasn't an issue) and my son gave me a shortcut to enlarge the layout so that most of that disappeared, and I could view pages properly and write documents more easily.
    Are you able to use a stylus of some kind for stabbing the letters, rather than your fingers? A couple of our local charity shops have these to enable their less dextrous volunteers to use the touch screen tills.
  • Airwave!
    I have stylus pens but then you gavr to hold the dimm things and my wrists hurt.. This is an Android and for instance the smilues are about 5/8" wide with 8 of them in that dpace, yer can 't win. The colours are in a dpace about 3/8" wide, the post icons are about 1/8 wide ach with about 1/32" spacing. This all on an 8" screen. The actual box to write in is 3" wide. Try getting yer finger tips in the Options box.

Have I made my point?
  • daffy2
    Have I made my point?
    Yup, I'll not make any more suggestions as to how things might perhaps be made to work better with the existing set-up.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Airwave, I have a small Samsung, Android tablet and I hate trying to type on it. In fact, when I first gót one, I typed, to a friend, that I thought I had the 'erong gingers' (wrong fingers) for a tablet. Despite its lightness and easy portability, I still use my desk top computer whenever possible.

Have you tried sticking your stylus into something the size of a golf ball? Or, wrapping stuff round the end to make it bigger and more ball-shaped to hold? I find that's much easier on the hands than something thin.

All your other problems I tend to see as a drawback with the tablet not the site. If I want to use an icon I just enlarge it. Similarly, I make the box for writing in as large as possible.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    As males tend to have larger finger than females that hinders thing too. Making things mini is brilliant for younger folk, us oldies need Doro telephones and computer equivalents together with magnifying specs and ear trumpets. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben