Hi all!

Tanne
Tanne Member Posts: 6
edited 2. Dec 2018, 08:33 in Say Hello Archive
Just joined the forum today and stopping by to say Hello!
I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 14yrs, that put an end to my gymnastic and dancing career, now 44 and suffer from osteoporosis, osteoarthritis in hips, knees, spine hands and feet. So all in all I'm in huge amounts of pain daily.
I've had all the treatments going from physiotherapy to chiropractor; been prescribed everything from fentanyl and morphine to paracetamol. Needless to say that after 30 yrs of trying everything under the sun both treatment wise and medication im now taking very little in way of pain reflief and was discharging from medical services a few years ago "nothing can be done".
I had to give up my job a year past in September and have spent the last 12 months practically house bound. It appears that I'm no use to my friends as well as an employer if I'm unable to be active on a daily and consistent basis.
I live alone with my cat and remain as positive and active as physically possible everyday but I'm not ashamed to admit that there are days, like today, when I wish I could go to sleep and then wake from this nightmare that my life has become. I'm sure a few of you good people out there fully understand this sentiment for what it is.
Anyways, I truly hope everyone is having the best day they can and that you're all remembering to be kind to yourselves. We do the best we can in what ever way we can wherever we are able bodied or not and that's all we can do.
Much blessings
Tanne xxx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tanne,
    Thanks for joining us, welcome to the forum.
    It sounds as though you've had a pretty tough time with your arthritis journey. There is a good community on here, many people with similar experiences to yours, who I'm sure will empathise with your situation & be able to share words of support. Do ask away if you have any questions or just need to vent/share, there's usually someone around to listen!
    "Be kind to yourselves" is wise advice indeed, we could all do with remembering it.
    with best wishes,
    Ann
  • johnnyk32uk
    johnnyk32uk Member Posts: 41
    Hi,

I have recently joined here myself and already had lots of help and it's a great place to have a moan where people listen and although all our aches and pains etc are different we kind of know what others are going through.

Take care, hope you feel better and hope to see you posting here.

Cheers,
    John
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Tanne and welcome :D You seem to have had – and are still having – a very tough time of it. I don't have scoliosis but I was diagnosed with RA at 15 and, because there were none of the modern DMARDS around back then (1961) after a while OA rocked up too. Since then I've had knees and hips replaced One had to be re-done a few years ago but the other is still just about holding me up at around 37 years of age. (The knee, not me :lol: ) So I have some understandng of multiple problems, pills, etc though not of having to give up work as I never got back to that after the birth of my first son.

I understand your feelings about pills and potions. We start to tolerate the pain meds so have to take more and more just to stay where we are. Well done you for giving them up! That must have been so difficult. I've always taken as few as possible and reduced as soon as possible after operations though, right now, I'm on the most I've ever been on as I have a hip replacement that's failing and my local hospital can't replace replacements so I have to wait on the 'big hospital's' long waiting list.

Maybe, just maybe, you haven't lost too much with your friends if they were the sort who needed you to be active. Fair weather friends, I'd say. But you're certainly not without them now that you've come here. There are some wonderful people on here and, even if we never meet in person, we get to know each other and help each other enormously. And we have a fair few laughs while we're at it :D

Please stick around and join in wherever you wish. You'll be made welcome. Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat are the most popular forums. On Chit Chat you'll find a 'virtual cafe' where anyone can drop in and share their day. Just look round and jump in (We can all jump in the virtual world :lol: ) wherever you wish. I hope to see you around. I bet you have a lot to contribute.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet and I am glad you have found us: we get it because we have it. I am sorry that your friends are not willing to accept you as you are, that does not say much about them or the value of their friendship.

I was a sickly child with severe asthma and eczema, now I'm a poorly adult with psoriatic and osteo arthritis plus fibromyalgia. I am very fortunate in many ways but the unremitting struggle to live from day-to-day can be very demoralising: when every move hurts and is awkward for something somewhere it is very tiresome. Today is one of the better ones, I have no idea why that should be but I am carefully making the most of it.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, I've been an active member for a few years now and it is reassuring to know I am not alone. In my early days I was, none of my peer group had similar troubles but they are now beginning to understand a little of what I am living with as the aches and pains of ageing begin to hit: I admit I enjoy the schadenfreude. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Tanne
    Tanne Member Posts: 6
    Hey all
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome and kind supportive words x
    I hope to get to know you all as the time goes on. Thank you again xxx