Psoriatic toenails?

Options
BettyMac
BettyMac Member Posts: 202
edited 4. Dec 2018, 14:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
This is a minor thing compared to what some of you experience in your lives but I've been having problems with a few of my toenails over the last few years.
It's been gradually getting worse and I now have a big toe which cannot tolerate any pressure over the toenail. Several other nails are flaking and splitting at the sides and catch on my socks, causing pain.

I've been doing a bit of research and suspect what I have is psoriatic nails - though I'll need to get this confirmed by someone better qualified than me!

I've read that biologics should eventually help - and I've been on Benepali for a couple of months already re the RA.
I also found that Vit D analogue creams, same as used to treat psoriatic skin lesions, can be useful.

I'm wondering if any of you have dealt with this - and how you've treated it.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think you need to go and see your GP, he is the best placed to advise and perhaps refer you to dermatology. I have had nails detach from the bed and float off, you get used to it: I have PsA tho, not RA so it kinda goes with the territory. I haven't had any bother from them for some time probably due to the regimen of injected meth and humira.

I know it's very uncomfortable - are you able to wrap a length of micro pore around your big toe to give it some protection? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I've not had this. (But when did that ever stop me :oops: ) What I do have, because of the RA, is 'grainy' nails ie with lines down them. That's the fingernails. As for the toenails – they are thickened and a disgustingly yellowish colour. These days they hardly grow at all.

As DD says, a medic is your best bet. In the interim, some advice from a dermatologist friend of my son. He said he was taught at the start of his studies that there were really only two things to know – if it's dry keep it moist and, if it's weeping, keep it dry :wink:

I've been known, when any bit of a foot is causing problems, to treat it with a huge dollop of E45. That helps to stop sock damage. Alternatively, if you can find some 'Second Skin'. That's great for really sensitive areas. My husband first got it for treating hiker's blisters. Then it seemed to go off the market for a while. This is the sort of thing but it looks a bit thicker than what he used to buy. https://tinyurl.com/y7l5yxh8
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, how are things now? I hope they have improved. DD
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Hi Sticky and DD

Hope you’re both doing ok.

Have decided to wait until after Xmas to take my fustie toenails to the doc.
    I live in hope that, in about eighteen months time, the biologic will have allowed the nails to clear.

My official diagnosis is RA but I’ve also had a few skin/nail issues since all the fun began

As I said in my original post, this is a small, annoying thing and one which I can put up with - though I’ll be hot footing it to the medics at the first sign of any infection in that big toe.

Slàinte Mhath
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I was initially vaguely diagnosed with a sero-negative auto-immune arthritis which was always written as RA on the blood forms. I was nine years in when my skin obliged with the first bout of psoriasis on my palms and soles. I urge you not to leave it, BettyMac, the risk of infection is too high and who wants a ruined Christmas? I know it can be a right-royal pain dragging oneself to the docs but after some episodes of infected eczema when a child I know it's worth doing because at least things are now there to help, back then they weren't! :lol: DD